These numbers are embarassing

Miscellaneous discussions. Things that don't have anything to do with Western, Leatherneck Athletics, college sports in general, etc.
sealhall74

The 812 post above about SGA decision on Western Hall seating got me thinking about something. Couldn't find anything about our student participation but these numbers from other institutions are below god-awful. Eastern at 6% back in 2008? Holy Crap. I would love to know how we compare. IMO, all universities should openly publish this information and strive to improve it every year. What better indicator of overall campus vibrancy could there possibly be than student willingness to participate in matters which effect their own well-being?

http://castle.eiu.edu/~edjournal/Winter ... evised.pdf

So can I take away a tidbit from this study that if you have a good football team (e.g. Alabama 53%), then you will have very good participation in student government affairs? Oops, THE Ohio State at 11%. On to my next premise. ;)
Embrace the pace of the race.
WIU0812

What do you think the national average is in participation or even just calling to make voice heard at house meetings and senate meetings State or Federal. I would say it is well under 10% of population over 18. I mean the only thing people really turn out for is super hot items and elections and even those are poorly attended so I would not expect any better from a University. The everyday items I would think are rarely even thought about. Most people do not even know about new laws going into effect in their state until they publish them the week before January 1st in the newspaper telling everyone to be prepared. Another example would be when the state decides it is going to run a new road somewhere the only people who attend are the ones who have the road running right by their house everyone else could care less and will just use it once it is built so they do not show or call to lobby for or against.
sealhall74

Isn't 50% about right for national elections? Still low, but at least about half bother to give sh*t.
wiu712

There was a special election last Thursday (Sept 10) to fill the 18th Congressional seat left vacant when Aaron Shock resigned.

1,952 of McDonough County's 16,958 registered voters participated in the election.

That is a 11.5 percent voter turnout.
sealhall74

The whole system at all levels is screwed up. The elected officials have no interest whatsoever in fixing what is broken because the broken system allowed them to get where they are. Is that irony or paradox? I will have to contemplate this on my trail run this PM.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

wiu712 wrote:There was a special election last Thursday (Sept 10) to fill the 18th Congressional seat left vacant when Aaron Shock resigned.

1,952 of McDonough County's 16,958 registered voters participated in the election.

That is a 11.5 percent voter turnout.
I think a big part of the problem with that election was that it was a special election for only the one seat, on a day when you don't normally have elections (a Thursday in September) in a district that is VERY heavily one-sided. I voted, but I will admit that it didn't really feel like my vote mattered that much. One side had a big advantage in name recognition, advertising, and being located in a very friendly district to his side of the aisle...so, he ended up getting over 2/3 of the votes.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000