Donna Phillips 5K

Miscellaneous discussions. Things that don't have anything to do with Western, Leatherneck Athletics, college sports in general, etc.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

So, I ran the Donna Phillips 5K this morning (it's a fun run/dog walk benefiting the Dept of Kinesiology, named after the former head of the dept who passed away a while back...starts and ends at Brophy Hall).

Anyway, I came in 5th overall and 4th place male, but noticed something interesting...2nd place was Nathan Knuffman (our placekicker/punter: http://goleathernecks.com/roster.aspx?r ... h=football).
So, I guess I'm like a bad special teams defender...I got beat by the kicker ;)
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

Nice job, ST. You guys need to make sure any and all Macomb races are submitted to Running In the USA. Whenever I travel, I always get on there to see if any races are in the area. I am still looking for my April 5k. I see there is an ROTC 5k out at Spring Lake on the 23rd (Spring Game weekend).

http://www.runningintheusa.com/Race/Lis ... =IL&Page=5

I aint no golfer but that race might be enough to get me to fly in for weekend.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

I'll have to try and get some of those posted to that site then. I usually try to get all the local runs posted to the WIU Employee Wellness events page (http://www.wiu.edu/vpas/wellness/events.php) so you can always check there if you're going to be back around Macomb at some point.

In addition to the Donna Phillips 5K that was this morning, here's the local running calendar that I have:

4/9 - Game Changer Race 5K/10K - don't know much about this, affiliated with a local church, The Crossing. Not running this one.
4/23 - Leatherneck Battalion 5K - held at Spring Lake Park
4/23 - MDH Tevar 5K - held downtown (running this one)
Both of these races are essentially run at the same time, so you can't do both. I kinda wish they'd move one of them to one of the next two weekends instead. I'm doing the MDH Tevar run (have for the last 4 years), because the person it's named after/in honor of, Dr. Dinesh Tevar (a local oncologist who, coincidentally, died of cancer), is the father of a good friend of mine from high school and he always comes back for the race every year.
4/30 - Flapjack 5K and Pancake Breakfast - fundraiser for St. Paul School (running this one)
5/7 - Kathy Simmons 5K - for WIRC-CAA Victim Services (I'm going to be out of town that weekend though, so I can't run that one)
6/25 - John Bliven Memorial 4 Mile - during Saturday morning of Heritage Days
Late August - Grin and Bear It 5K for McDonough County Health Department - was 8/29 last year, haven't seen this year's date announced yet. Is also at Spring Lake Park.
10/8 - Old Stompin' Ground Runaround - the Homecoming 5K (I'll run this one)
10/22 - Fallen Soldiers 5K - this one is really cool, largest race in the area (had nearly 600 people last year), raises money for the WIU Fallen Soldiers Scholarship Fund and is in honor of two WIU students who died while serving our country. (I'll run this one)
Late October - YMCA Haunted Hill Run 5K/10K (was 10/24 last year...usually around Halloween) - (I usually run the 10k at this one)
Early November - Super Blue Light 5K (was 11/7 last year) - Superhero themed race. I didn't get to do this one last year, but I'd like to run it this year.

I also try to run 1-2 half-marathons each year, usually one in Quincy in late May and the half at the QC Marathon Weekend in late September (although I probably won't be able to do the QC one this year...it's the morning after the football game at Northern Illinois and it'll be hard for me to make both the game and the packet pick-up in Moline on the same day).
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000