Ronald Reagan played game at Western

Miscellaneous discussions. Things that don't have anything to do with Western, Leatherneck Athletics, college sports in general, etc.
Western_101

I was looking through the media guide and noticed some match ups quite a while back against Eureka College.

I know that President Reagan attended Eureka from 1928-to Spring of 1932. I know that he was on team at some point in some capacity. Eureka would have played in Macomb in 1928 and 1930. I was curious if any members on this board were at those games ;) and can confirm if "Dutch" Reagan competed against our beloved vintage Leathernecks.

I just thought that would be an interesting connection/footnote in history.

necknerd

I have not been able to find emphatic confirmation that Reagan played against Western in Macomb in 1930, but I did find reference to him traveling to Peoria to play against Bradley on October 3, 1930. So, her was certainly both on the team and on the traveling squad...sooo....logically he travelled to Macomb to play on October 10, 1930.

https://books.google.com/books?id=k06fz ... ll&f=false
sealhall74

Did we have a swimming team back then? The Gipper was a better swimmer than football player. As a lifeguard between ages of 15 and 22, he rescued 77 swimmers from the Rock River near his home in Dixon.
Embrace the pace of the race.
rocki

Well, there was a swimming team with 1 member in 1930.....
http://collections.carli.illinois.edu/c ... 916/rec/27
Western_101

Thanks Necknerd, Good info. Good name too.
beauspencer

Yes, Reagan did compete against Western in a swim meet and finished second in his particular event. I found an article from the Macomb Journal with his name and event place mentioned while I was researching men's basketball. I can't remember if that event was held at WIU, though.