New Front Page

Forum info, updates, discussion. If you have a request for something you want to see on the forum, feel free to bring it up here.
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 11:08 am
sealhall74 wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 7:24 am Suggestion for a cosmetic change to front page:

Use different background colors for the "Recent Results" and "Upcoming Schedule" items.
Could also use the same colors in the title as a sort of legend.
Maybe a light red (stop) for recent results and a light green (go) for upcoming schedule?
Or a light blue (cold) for recent and a light red (hot) for upcoming schedule?
Another approach would be to put a separator bar between the two groups.
Yea, I'm still tweaking it, trying to figure out the best way to handle the schedule. I'm not 100% happy with the way it currently is either, but figured it was better than nothing. Ideally/eventually, I want to just have two separate sections. One for "recent scores/results" and the other for "upcoming schedule".
Not sure how easy it would be, but would be nifty if each "recent result" item had two clickable links. One takes you to the recap from main athletic site. The other, the final score, would take you to the actual box score from athletic site.

For the future events, a link to the radio, TV, internet feeds would also be nice. It would take up extra space and might be better fit for the "GDT" threads inside the forum.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 3:41 pm Not sure how easy it would be, but would be nifty if each "recent result" item had two clickable links. One takes you to the recap from main athletic site. The other, the final score, would take you to the actual box score from athletic site.

For the future events, a link to the radio, TV, internet feeds would also be nice. It would take up extra space and might be better fit for the "GDT" threads inside the forum.
Unfortunately, I'm limited by the data that is sent out by athletics via the calendar/rss feed and some of that information is not actually included in the feed.

It does appear that the RSS events do include the "event ID" which can be used to link to the event page and it appears, the recap pages. I was thinking I'd switch over to using the RSS feed anyway, since doing it the "calendar" way only refreshes itself about once a day (hence the delay sometimes).

For example, the event ID for our last baseball game at NDSU is 5812.
http://goleathernecks.com/calendar.aspx?id=5812 gets you to the event page (in the athletics calendar system)
and for events that have happened already, http://goleathernecks.com/boxscore.aspx?id=5812 gets you to the box score page.
The link recap for that game, however (http://goleathernecks.com/news/2017/5/1 ... -ndsu.aspx) does not appear anywhere in the RSS feed, and does not use that event id as a reference point, so I don't really have an easy way to grab that and process it.

I will work on it though, see if I can't get it to at least include the link back to the box score page if the event is over.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Hmmm...apparently some of the content on the front page (news items, schedules) have stopped updating as of a few days ago. I'm looking into the issue but I just wanted you all to know that I am aware of it...in case any of you had noticed that.

As usual, you can always see the future schedule (and previous results if you scroll up) on the calendar page: http://www.leathernecknation.net/forum/app.php/calendar
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000