Testing thread

Forum info, updates, discussion. If you have a request for something you want to see on the forum, feel free to bring it up here.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Well, yes and no. It looks pretty good on the front page, but for some reason, it's showing a double version of the icons once you get into the subforums. I'll have to play with the settings to figure out what's going on. So, yes, it's looking good, but I'm still working on it, so don't be freaked out if it looks odd or goofy for a bit at some point if you happen to be viewing the forum while I'm making changes.

As for the graphics and posters, they're either done by Document and Publication Services (DPS), which is where I work (in fact, the woman in the office right across from mine quite frequently does posters and stuff for the athletics department...she might have done that one), or Visual Production Center (VPC), where I know probably 3/4 of the staff there (and two are former employees and friends of mine). I'll see if I can figure out where some of those graphics came from and if I can use them or some variation of them on the site.

EDIT - I think I figured out what was going on with the double icons and have pretty much fixed it. The gold arrow icon shows up next to a topic when you have unread posts there, otherwise it doesn't show up now. Take a look at it a bit and let me know if you guys think it looks ok.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
WIU0812

St looks like its working good, but now there are bigger problems in this fake user posting in the non-western sports.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Yup, I see it.
It's been taken care of and I'm going to look a bit further into anti-spam measures. Apparently the ones built into phpBB aren't all that effective.
WIU0812

Agreed though it gave the site a good test of mass posts and it seemed to handle it well and the rocky symbol and yellow lettering showed for each that had not been seen.
WIU0812

Anyway you can make new thread at top of old forum that literally just links everyone to this one once all the fine tuning is done? Not sure of what capabilities you had on the old one?
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

WIU0812 wrote:Anyway you can make new thread at top of old forum that literally just links everyone to this one once all the fine tuning is done? Not sure of what capabilities you had on the old one?
Yes, my plan is to get a couple more things worked out, then I'll put a post at the top of the old forum and I'll lock down all of the existing forums there so that they can't be added to. All the content will still be there and visible, but all new conversation will have to happen over here.
WIU0812

Sounds good if you have not noticed the post above this one under the forum info has an exclamation point instead of a paw in its place.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Yup. That actually means that that thread is "Locked" (essentially, I'm the only one who can make changes to it). I'm using that as the "official" how-to section for the new features of the forum and stuff. If you'd like to see me do a how-to on something that you don't see there already, let me know and I'll put something together.

It also happens to be "sticky" which means that it'll stay up at the top of the forum info section (until I tell it not to).
WIU0812

OK I got an idea how about a WIU Athletics twitter feed on the right side of page or would that make it to narrow would be neat to have some constantly updating links like that which don't require any effort on your part once established?
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

WIU0812 wrote:OK I got an idea how about a WIU Athletics twitter feed on the right side of page or would that make it to narrow would be neat to have some constantly updating links like that which don't require any effort on your part once established?
Actually that's kinda my plan. I'm not sure about having stuff like the main athletics twitter feed on the sidebar of the forum (as you mentioned, might be too narrow depending on screen size...it's fine for me, but my screens at home and work are pretty wide).

I'm not sure if you guys have noticed, but when you go to LeatherneckNation.net, it actually redirects you to leathernecknation.net/forum. I set up a file as the main index page to take people to the forum. At some point, however, I could create a main front page myself (or use an install of Wordpress) and include stuff like news, twitter, etc. as the main front page. Still considering ideas and stuff for that.