R U Ready For Some PickEm?

Forum info, updates, discussion. If you have a request for something you want to see on the forum, feel free to bring it up here.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote:I know I am ready for some college football, Pick'em or no Pick'em. The contest is pretty much the same as it was last year but I added a preseason poll sidebet pick for week 1. I also have some ideas for a couple of new sidebets involving fight songs but they are not quite finalized yet. If you have some ideas for keeping the contest fresh and challenging, I would love to hear them. As always, there is no fee to play. E-gift prizes for weekly and regular season winners. Also an FCS Playoff bracket pool and the more you play during the regular season, the bigger your potential payoff for it. There is a Guest login account you can use to take a test drive. Below is the link to get the ball rolling:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... l8/pubhtml

ST, is there a spot somewhere on the site for a link to this?
You got it man...and as always, thanks for doing this. It's a great thing that helps get people interested in the site, in Leatherneck and MVFC football, and is a lot of fun.

The link has been added to the lower menu bar in the title bar...you'll find it between the Forum and the GoLeathernecks.com links.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
leatherneckcountry

i'm confused on what the arrows are for when i pick a team
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

leatherneckcountry wrote:i'm confused on what the arrows are for when i pick a team
Which arrows in which section?
leatherneckcountry

ST_Lawson wrote:
leatherneckcountry wrote:i'm confused on what the arrows are for when i pick a team
Which arrows in which section?
the game picks section if i try to pick for example ndsu arrows pop up
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

leatherneckcountry wrote:the game picks section if i try to pick for example ndsu arrows pop up
Ah, you actually are supposed to pick the margin of victory (the arrows let you increase or decrease the margin, or you can just type it in).

So, instead of just picking NDSU to beat CSU, you pick by how much. If you think NDSU beats CSU by two TDs, then put down 14 in the NDSU field. If you think CSU squeaks out a win by a FG, put in 3 for CSU.

This makes things a bit more accurate, since there's few enough games that it's entirely possible for multiple people to have the same picks for winners....but margin of victory allows him to calculate much more accurately...the closer you are to the margin of victory, the more "points" you get towards winning the week.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I've done this every year that Seal has put it together (the last 2 years, I think?), so I'm pretty familiar with how he has it set up.
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote:
leatherneckcountry wrote:the game picks section if i try to pick for example ndsu arrows pop up
Ah, you actually are supposed to pick the margin of victory (the arrows let you increase or decrease the margin, or you can just type it in).

So, instead of just picking NDSU to beat CSU, you pick by how much. If you think NDSU beats CSU by two TDs, then put down 14 in the NDSU field. If you think CSU squeaks out a win by a FG, put in 3 for CSU.

This makes things a bit more accurate, since there's few enough games that it's entirely possible for multiple people to have the same picks for winners....but margin of victory allows him to calculate much more accurately...the closer you are to the margin of victory, the more "points" you get towards winning the week.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I've done this every year that Seal has put it together (the last 2 years, I think?), so I'm pretty familiar with how he has it set up.
Thanks Scott, you are a scholar and gentleman.
Embrace the pace of the race.
sealhall74

If I can get the PickEm game going without too much effort, I will run it again this year. Lots going on my life now, moving, marriage?, need to come out of retirement and find a job, wife? might not like me giving our money away!

We shall see how it goes getting it set up this week.

UPDATE: Every year, sure as Rachel Maddow wearing black on MSNBC, the NCAA comes up with a new way to handle the schedule and scores on their site. Hopefully, it wont be difficult to reverse engineer what they have for this year.

UPDATE 2: Week 1 Schedule is now in place. Most of the headaches were name changes like "Missouri Valley" changed to "MVFC" and new teams like "Pikeville" which I did not have in my spreadsheet. Where the hell is Pikeville?

UPDATE 3: Not quite ready for players registrations yet. Hopefully tomorrow (Sunday)
sealhall74

Feel free to signup for the Pickem game at this time. The link is at the top of the window (Pigskin Pick-Em).
sealhall74

Since it is still "All Systems Go" for moving back to the area in the next month or so, I am more than willing to add some local pubs and places to the reward list even if they don't have an e-gift certificate to give out. My goto pub will be the Hawkeye Sports Bar and Grill in Davenport, a nice place close to my new home with good food and drink and volleyball outside this time of year. I have also added Sports Corner @ 124 in Macomb as a reward spot. If I have to deliver the reward in person there, I can do it. Also had a request from a facebook friend to add Coach's Corner Sports Pub in Iowa City, that is even closer than Macomb. If you want to play and your favorite hangout is not in the reward list, let me know and I will add it.
sealhall74

ST, I am so bored during this quarantine I have plenty of time to work on the next generation of the Pickem game. Moving away from the Google Cloud to a GoDaddy Ubuntu virtual server running Node JS/Express, Pug template engine, and Sqlite as the backend datastore. Should be faster and more maintainable. The only issue I see right now is that Sqlite does not really support pivot tables which were a key feature of the Google spreadsheet approach. There does appear to be a workaround using sqlite virtual tables though. We shall see.

Fingers crossed there is a football season this year.