100 Members

Forum info, updates, discussion. If you have a request for something you want to see on the forum, feel free to bring it up here.
WIU0812

Congrats to ST as we reached 100 and now 101 members on the forum. This is obviously just the beginning since the forum has not yet been active for 6 months. I could definitely see a benefit if you are able to eventually take over both the .com and this .net leatherneck nation and move it higher in the google searches. The new forum is great and has well exceeded expectations. I for one can't wait to see what else you have in store for us!
sealhall74

WIU0812 wrote:Congrats to ST as we reached 100 and now 101 members on the forum. This is obviously just the beginning since the forum has not yet been active for 6 months. I could definitely see a benefit if you are able to eventually take over both the .com and this .net leatherneck nation and move it higher in the google searches. The new forum is great and has well exceeded expectations. I for one can't wait to see what else you have in store for us!
How about a sticky "factoid" thread? Saw one on Bisonville today and kind of liked it. Always something interesting to read about the past, present, and future. I will offer up the first factoid as an example:

In the consecutive years of 1941 and 1942, the WIU men knocked off two professional barnstorming teams:
January 29, 1941 Hong Wah Kues Score 56-27
January 6, 1942 Globe Trotters Score 36-26 ( I assume they are closely related to the same Harlem Globetrotters we enjoy today)

Source: http://www.goleathernecks.com/documents ... df#page=15

More from Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hong_Wah_Kues
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harlem_Globetrotters

BTW, these kind of factoids would be great to display on the new video screens.
PLEASE, something other than the same old advertising all of the time. If you want people to come, you have to entertain them.
Embrace the pace of the race.
beauspencer

In fact it was the Abe Saperstein Harlem Globetrotters. In fact, only five Globetrotters made the trip to Macomb because their bus broke down in Indiana the day before the game. The team took the train from Chicago to Macomb. Former WIU standout (and Hall of Famer) Ralph Barclay was one of the referees.

The five Globetrotters that played were: Inman Jackson, Charley Young, Tony Peyton, Robert Julian, and Cleveland Bray.

It was the Annual Infantile Paralysis Benefit Game. The event brought in $165 for the National Foundation of Infantile Paralysis.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

For the sticky "factoid" thread, are you thinking something that anyone can post to, or something more limited...like a moderated thread, where I (and maybe a few other authorized people) post interesting facts that either we've dug up, or that other people sent in to us? I'm ok with either, just want to make sure we're doing it the way you guys want it.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote:For the sticky "factoid" thread, are you thinking something that anyone can post to, or something more limited...like a moderated thread, where I (and maybe a few other authorized people) post interesting facts that either we've dug up, or that other people sent in to us? I'm ok with either, just want to make sure we're doing it the way you guys want it.
I think a moderated thread would be the way to go. Any member can submit a factoid to the moderater(s). If deemed interesting enough (by simple majority yes/no vote?), it would then be posted in the factoid thread for everyone to read. Could even take it a step further by having some sort of monthly or quarterly voting contest amongst all members to determine the best/favorite factoid. Where possible, I would like it to get to the point where members dig up interesting stuff by talking directly to those people involved in the experience. Therefore, a factoid with a real person source should be much preferred over a simple wiki or record book search as was my example. The factoid need not be something that happened eons ago. It could be something like "I sat next to athlete X's parents at the game and they told me all about how their son/daughter got into sport Y". Not sure what prizes we can give out for the best factoid. Any ideas? From my experience, people will continue to play/hunt/seek if there is some reward system in place.

BTW, I just returned from Williamsburg, VA where I learned an interesting factoid about William & Mary. As you would expect, they have many notable alumni being located close to our nation's capital and also being the 2nd oldest college in the country. Not for certain, but I think they might be the only college in the country to boast of a former head football coach (Marv Levy) who went on to an NFL head coach position AND a former player (Mike Tomlin) who accomplished the same goal.

Happy Thanksgiving to all of Leatherneck Nation!!!
Embrace the pace of the race.