Live Chat - Yea or Nay?

Forum info, updates, discussion. If you have a request for something you want to see on the forum, feel free to bring it up here.

What do you think of Live Chat?

Yea - loved it/used it all the time
50%
Yea - nice feature, but didn't use it much
33%
Meh - don't care either way
17%
Nay - doesn't seem like it got much use
No votes
Nay - it's dumb and you're dumb and this site is dumb
No votes

Total votes: 6
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

So, I took down the link to live chat since it seemed like it wasn't getting much use. The page is still there though, so if you want it back, I can add the link back. Vote what you think about it and we'll see if there's enough interest to bring it back.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

The Chat has been used primarily for football games. It's a better way to communicate thoughts and feelings about the game as it is happening instead of using the regular Forum.
meganeck

I liked it and used, but didn't seem others used - would like to see it used for basketball
rocki

I liked it and used it, but it seems that since the games have been broadcast on ESPN3 the useage went down. Many times I check and I'm the only one there.

Maybe the fact that more people can watch more games has taken away from it - I know I used it mostly when I was listening to games on the radio. This year, not so much.
sealhall74

I like it - best tool for color commentary while game is in progress. Observing other forums, I see some consistency with their thread format. One thread for commentary on days leading up to game day. A separate game day thread to get everyone fired up. Lastly, a post-mortem analysis thread for after any thoughts. I think that is the ideal way of organizing things but not sure if we have enough users to always warrant it for our FB and BB games. I think the chat feature might be suffering from an "Out of sight out of mind" problem. Put a "Go Live Chat" button next to the Reply button and usage might improve. If we adhere to the triple thread strategy for important games, then it might make sense to restrict that button to only the game day thread.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote:I like it - best tool for color commentary while game is in progress. Observing other forums, I see some consistency with their thread format. One thread for commentary on days leading up to game day. A separate game day thread to get everyone fired up. Lastly, a post-mortem analysis thread for after any thoughts. I think that is the ideal way of organizing things but not sure if we have enough users to always warrant it for our FB and BB games. I think the chat feature might be suffering from an "Out of sight out of mind" problem. Put a "Go Live Chat" button next to the Reply button and usage might improve. If we adhere to the triple thread strategy for important games, then it might make sense to restrict that button to only the game day thread.
Are you volunteering to organize it? ;)
I'm not opposed to doing that for every game, but I'm afraid I just don't have the time or basketball knowledge to do that kind of stuff for every game. We can include the chat button somewhere...that's definitely possible.
For me, I planned on just doing one big post for each week in Basketball, covering the (usually) 2 games that we play in the week and then using that as discussion leading up to the games. If you want to set up GDTs (game day threads) for each basketball game, then I say go for it.
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote:
sealhall74 wrote:I like it - best tool for color commentary while game is in progress. Observing other forums, I see some consistency with their thread format. One thread for commentary on days leading up to game day. A separate game day thread to get everyone fired up. Lastly, a post-mortem analysis thread for after any thoughts. I think that is the ideal way of organizing things but not sure if we have enough users to always warrant it for our FB and BB games. I think the chat feature might be suffering from an "Out of sight out of mind" problem. Put a "Go Live Chat" button next to the Reply button and usage might improve. If we adhere to the triple thread strategy for important games, then it might make sense to restrict that button to only the game day thread.
Are you volunteering to organize it? ;)
I'm not opposed to doing that for every game, but I'm afraid I just don't have the time or basketball knowledge to do that kind of stuff for every game. We can include the chat button somewhere...that's definitely possible.
For me, I planned on just doing one big post for each week in Basketball, covering the (usually) 2 games that we play in the week and then using that as discussion leading up to the games. If you want to set up GDTs (game day threads) for each basketball game, then I say go for it.
I think your way is fine given our level of posting. But I will look into some way to automatically generate a GDT using whatever appropriate info is available. Something that could be copied and pasted to create a GDT if we want to go there in the future.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Ok, so I re-instituted the Live Chat link at the top bar of the forum and the left side on the front page. Feel free to use it during games or other events to chat.

I also did a little bit of "remodeling" on the front page, instituting the new format for the news stream and moving the athletics page facebook section to the right side. Let me know if you have any problems with this setup, either technically or aesthetically.