Hanson Field North End Zone bleachers

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
Western_101

It would appear as if the North End Zone temporary bleachers are not being done anymore.

I thought those old lousy green bleachers looked kinda bad, but I liked the Idea of temporary End Zone seating.

I like the idea of having seating close to the field i.e. the North bleachers. Perhaps, attendance has dwindled enough that the Athletic Dept/Facilities Management didn't deem it necessary.

I would like to see some new (perhaps rental) aluminum bleachers there. What are other peoples opinions?

http://bigtenrentals.com/rental/bleachers/
Last edited by Western_101 on Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

I think that, like you said, it's just a situation where they're not needed at this point due to lack of attendance. We don't really need them unless we're getting close to 15,000 fans in the stands, and we haven't pulled that many since 2012 (and I'm still not entirely sure that the numbers back then were entirely accurate).

Hopefully an exciting offense and the fact that we were a playoff team last year plus a few more wins and hopefully cooperative weather will allow us to get the attendance numbers back up.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Western_101

Good points Scott.

However, I feel like adding a set of bleachers on the North and South not only would provide some fans that so choose a closer experience to the field. Also, In my opinion, it would add a nice bit of symmetry to the stadium that I think would be conveyed nicely when the televised games cameras pan the field and stands.

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Oh, I definitely like the idea and the "feel" that it brought to games having loud groups of students (mostly) sitting down at the end zones. I think it's a great idea to have. I think that the decline in attendance is a big part of the reason for getting rid of them, but I think they would be good to have if we can get decent crowds there....maybe try to organize fraternities to sit in those areas (give 'em freebies or something) and have appropriately-timed yelling contests between them (like when we're on defense).
wiu712

We "lost" the south end zone seating when the new turf was installed.

The north end zone bleachers were well-used. But they were not in the best condition.

The aluminum bleachers pictured above would be perfect for the soccer field. The bleachers there now are in very sad shape.

On a recent visit to Hanson Field I noticed that some of the crumbling concrete on the aisles on the west side has been repaired.
huskie

Set up a beer tent in the North End Zone!
Tere North

huskie wrote:Set up a beer tent in the North End Zone!
While I wonder if WIU administration would ever support the idea, I like it. Not only does it provide for beer sales (income), but it would provide control over drinking.
wiu712

Illinois State has a section in the south end zone called Touchdown Terrace. The Touchdown Terrace is the only public seating area within Hancock Stadium offering beer sales.
Neckfansince71

New North Endzone bleachers are on the way!!!! ;) jc
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Neckfansince71 wrote:New North Endzone bleachers are on the way!!!! ;) jc
Well that's pretty darn awesome.