Football Attendance

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
leatherneckcountry

ST_Lawson wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:54 am
wiu712 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:44 am Sections F and G on the west side were filled with students. The students sitting next to me in Section F said that they did not want to sit on the east side because they wanted to be on the same side as the team and cheerleaders. Makes sense to me.

The marked, designated "Student Section" this year is the far northern section on the east side. Those seats are in the endzone. Not the best seats in the house. And the marked "Purple Platoon" section is the adjacent section (10 yard line). The Purple Platoon section was on the west side last year.

With the amount of money that the students are paying in Athletic Fees, they really should have the best seats in the house.
Might be hard to do with the current configuration (moving the students to the middle) since it would displace some of the season ticket holders (even though it seems like a lot of them don't actually sit there) and I don't know what mechanism there is for retaining the same season ticket seats year-to-year. What I would really like to see though, is when we build the new west side, the upper section of maybe a couple hundred seats is set aside for season ticket holders initially. Then, the student section is moved to the lower middle section, essentially where the purple backed seats are now.

Season-ticket holders would get their great view of the field, priority seating, easy access to get in and out and get to bathrooms, concessions, etc.
Students get to be right in the middle, right behind the team, directly across from the band, loud and excited.
Also, with the walking space between the lower and upper sections, the season ticket holder section's view won't be obstructed even if everyone in the lower section is jumping up and down and going nuts.
My only question is how the student season ticket holder relationship would work out. Honestly most students are just fine to be around but you have those few that are an exception which scares me when it comes to putting them near each other.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

leatherneckcountry wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:00 pm My only question is how the student season ticket holder relationship would work out. Honestly most students are just fine to be around but you have those few that are an exception which scares me when it comes to putting them near each other.
That's why it's good that there's the walkway there to separate the upper and lower sections.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

leatherneckcountry wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:00 pmMy only question is how the student season ticket holder relationship would work out. Honestly most students are just fine to be around but you have those few that are an exception which scares me when it comes to putting them near each other.
We already have that mixture now with some season-ticket holders sitting in Section E and students in Sections F and G. I have not noticed any problems.
wiu712

This past Saturday (Oct 21) was Homecoming at Eastern Illinois. They had 8,176 for their Homecoming game.

We had 5,631 for our Homecoming game. Last year, we had 5,487 for our 2016 Homecoming game.

We had 7,125 for 2015 Western Homecoming. And 5,111 for the 2014 Homecoming.

The 2013 Western Homecoming had a crowd of 10,232.
leatherface

I think a lot of it comes to school pride- or lack of it. Alums in general just don't seem to have any school affinity, or pride with Western. I've noticed that for years- when compared to other school's alums. Maybe it goes back to their days as students, and no engagement or fit or whatever was ever developed.
leatherneckcountry

Not looking good for the weather again this weekend cold and rainy i can't remember us every having good weather when we play the Jacks.
wiu712

leatherneckcountry wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:35 am Not looking good for the weather again this weekend cold and rainy i can't remember us every having good weather when we play the Jacks.
I can remember one: August 31, 2007. This was the 4-overtime game that Western won 29-26 over then #20 South Dakota State.

According to The Weather Channel, it will be mostly sunny and 47 on Saturday. Winds: WNW at 11 mph. UV Index: 4 of 10. 0% chance of rain.

The best day of this week will be on Thursday when it will be sunny and 65.
leatherneckcountry

wiu712 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:47 am
leatherneckcountry wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:35 am Not looking good for the weather again this weekend cold and rainy i can't remember us every having good weather when we play the Jacks.
I can remember one: August 31, 2007. This was the 4-overtime game that Western won 29-26 over then #20 South Dakota State.

According to The Weather Channel, it will be mostly sunny and 47 on Saturday. Winds: WNW at 11 mph. UV Index: 4 of 10. 0% chance of rain.

The best day of this week will be on Thursday when it will be sunny and 65.
Anything is better than the game against them 2 yrs ago i remember 2 yrs ago it was maybe 10 deegree with snow and ice i went over to watch the 4th Qrt and of course it went double OT.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

I remember both of those...two very memorable games.
2007 4-OT game: https://goo.gl/photos/jBmijvaiGzcdurDA8
2015 2-OT Blizzard game: https://photos.app.goo.gl/VNPyfKztLeaedhFm2
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Neckfansince71

leatherface wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:46 am I think a lot of it comes to school pride- or lack of it. Alums in general just don't seem to have any school affinity, or pride with Western. I've noticed that for years- when compared to other school's alums. Maybe it goes back to their days as students, and no engagement or fit or whatever was ever developed.
You know, I always wear "something Western" when I am out shopping, or in the airport, and today getting my flu shot. It never ceases to amaze me the number of people who say, "WIU" I was there in 1972! You name a graduation date, and I have had them say hey! They have fond memories of Macomb and their days at WIU. So I don't think it is pride, or affinity for WIU. But its just not their religion!!! You don't have to be a graduate of a university to be a fan. That has been proven to me time and time again. I have a buddy who attended Eastern Kentucky in the late 70's. His son attended Purdue and his daughter attended Butler. He is a big fan for everything Purdue and Butler basketball, period. He could care less how the "EKU" is doing or who their next game is with. He has nothing but good things to say about EKU, but it’s just not his religion. I see that happening a lot in the suburbs. Its Big 10 or Notre Dame! That is team religion!!! I would agree that there a lot of graduates of WIU who had good experiences which became good jobs, and who say, WIU was fine for me but my kids want to go to an "exotic" school, like Miami of Ohio, Missouri, or Illinois. And if not Illinois, well then we will consider other state schools. Despite all of the "accolades" that WIU gets each year, in most cases, unless you are majoring in LEEA or Broadcasting, or Supply Chain etc. its just not their destination college! In a number of cases it should be!! The return on an education at WIU is just as great as any other college/university for a number of majors.