Football Attendance Crisis

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
wiu712

Tere North wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:51 amAnother indication we are going Goldfarb's way of becoming a Truman State.
A lot of people laughed when President Goldfarb made that prediction.
sealhall74

I was watching a replay video of the hoops game between Oakhills Christian (Saturday opponent) and Leech Lake Tribal yesterday. Honest to God, it brought back memories of my intramural days on campus. Guys not so talented (shooting set shots from afar and coming up with nothing but air) but still having a good time on the court. Maybe a handful of spectators sitting in some courtside chairs. I got to thinking about it. I think intramurals and club sports were very popular on campus when I was there. My RA was on the volleyball club team and was always out in the hall spiking the ball against the wall. Or maybe it was his way of waking everyone up to make sure they made it to class. IIRC, they even posted intramural results in the Courier but I might be wrong about that.

Anyone care to chime in with some feeling about how the intramurals and club sports on campus are going today. It seems to me that if you can't get kids to come out and "recreate" with their buddies or against their most hated dorm or greek team, you have little to no chance of getting them to show up and cheer on a university sports team unless there is free food or something else in it for them.
Embrace the pace of the race.
leatherneckcountry

To me it seems like the events that are for charity create good crowds like the mud volleyball event at the beginning of the year but intramurals don't seem to be all that popular.
wiu712

sealhall74 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:17 amAnyone care to chime in with some feeling about how the intramurals and club sports on campus are going today.
As mentioned above, the Mud Volleyball in the fall and the Big Pink Volleyball in the winter are very popular events.

Intramurals appear to be live and well on campus. The Vince Grady Intramural Fields and the Spencer Rec Center are well used.

Western Intramural info here: http://www.wiu.edu/student_services/cam ... /index.php