Football Attendance Crisis

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
Josh Hamm

I am a former Leatherneck Club Advisory Board Member. The advisory board was done away with last December. The idea having a "Beer Tent" inside the gates of Hanson Field was discussed and discussed and discussed some more for the last several years and constantly met with resistance. We can't, we won't, it won't work etc..... Tailgating should end 10-15 minutes before the game, there should be a no-reentry policy and there should be an area to purchase an alcoholic beverage if you so choose. Improving the game day experience inside the stadium should be the primary goal. Many people attend sporting events for more than the sport itself. It is about the experience. Have a positive experience and you are more likely to return and invite a friend. Either adapt and change or get left behind.
LocalYokelFan

Josh is right, the gameday experience needs to improve. There are some low-hanging options like a beer tent, but others require a bit more $$$. Hanson Field is a relic. It is not a good place to watch football. Until that's addressed, it's going to be tough sledding.
leatherface

If you need to provide alcohol or encourage alcohol consumption to attract folks to your events, you have a problem. Once you do that, you likely add other problems. IMHO. I like a beer once in awhile as most folks, however, I don't like being around folks whose sole purpose for being there is to be able to drink and/or get drunk. You run the risk of "running off" families who want to enjoy the day without putting up with a bunch of drunks. IMHO
rocki

leatherface wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:45 pm If you need to provide alcohol or encourage alcohol consumption to attract folks to your events, you have a problem. Once you do that, you likely add other problems. IMHO. I like a beer once in awhile as most folks, however, I don't like being around folks whose sole purpose for being there is to be able to drink and/or get drunk. You run the risk of "running off" families who want to enjoy the day without putting up with a bunch of drunks. IMHO
I don't think anyone is suggesting that we turn the place into a bar. The fact remains that when you watch pretty much any sporting event on TV, you notice that a lot of people will have a beer in their hand. Doesn't mean they're irresponsible, doesn't mean they are there to get drunk. I think the suggestion was made because of the discussion about people going back to the tailgating area at halftime to have a beer.
Josh Hamm

The "problem" we have is lack of attendance, fan participation and the game day experience. Many stadiums have family sections that do not allow alcohol consumption. Of course we can continue to do nothing, be resistant to change and fall further behind everyday. I have no decision making power, my only action or lack of action comes from deciding to attend or not based on the overall experience.
leatherface

I see your position, Josh, and somewhat agree with it. But.... should we allow alcohol sales in Western Hall for men's games? Women's games? Volleyball? How about soccer and softball games? If not, why not? I'm not against some area for consumption that is monitored, and if need be, arrests made. Look at Homecoming this year. That type of action is going to ruin it for everyone-fair or not.

I guess I'm saying the game day experience is necessary- no question- but, I don't want alcohol to be the main draw. Surely the folks responsible for marketing can research what other schools are doing to bring in fans, and not rely on alcohol as the "savior".
leatherface

There's a lot of good ideas expressed on here. Send an email to athletics with these- or, if you aren't comfortable with that, send email with ideas to Leatherneck Club officers.
rocki

Josh Hamm wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:15 pm The "problem" we have is lack of attendance, fan participation and the game day experience. Many stadiums have family sections that do not allow alcohol consumption. Of course we can continue to do nothing, be resistant to change and fall further behind everyday. I have no decision making power, my only action or lack of action comes from deciding to attend or not based on the overall experience.
What are your suggestions?

I've been to NASCAR races where they have shot Tshirts out of a Tshirt cannon, tossed beach balls around so people can ply volleyball in the stands, football games where they have thrown mini-footballs into the stands...is this the type of thing we're looking for, or what exactly are we talking about in improving the game day experience?
Josh Hamm

As I stated earlier there are nolonger any “officers” of the LNC. The executive board was done away with by the athletic administration. The availability of alcohol I am discussing only pertains to football. Football is typically a 5 or 6 time home event that can be planned for. And this thread is titled football attendance crisis. To touch on the issue I feel the availability of alcohol in Western Hall on a regular basis for basketball is not warranted at this time. Mid-week games and the shear number of games makes that subject a different animal. I do believe there is an opportunity on weekend games, double headers and marquee games to plan, advertise and execute a game day experience that involves the availability of alcohol during basketball. One of the biggest assets that WIU has is the student body themselves. If we still had a LNC Advisory Board IMO the students should have their own subcommittee and attend regular meetings. This would accomplish several things, first hearing directly from them and giving them an opportunity to voice what it is they want in a game day experience. Listening is powerful. If they feel empowered and invested in the process they will be more likely to attend. They attend, have fun and then it becomes routine. Routines are hard to break.
sealhall74

A small 8-10 foot helium blimp cruising over QLot during tailgating and around the stadium during the game might draw a little interest. Probably could not do it in real windy conditions though. Put some appropriate advertising on it, and it might not cost the University much to operate. A smaller one might work inside Western Hall. Instead of having humans drop stuff from the catwalks, let the remote control of the blimp handle it.
Embrace the pace of the race.