Rocky Mascot

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

This was posted to Facebook in the Football Alumni group:

To all Leatherneck Football Alumni, Fans and Friends of the program, you may or may not know that the cheerleaders are not on scholarship and have limited budgets for travel and food but are a big part of our program. They put in long hours of practice and cheering for our Leatherneck teams.

They need our help to raise money for a new uniform for our mascot. Rocky is part of every home sporting event as well community events and is in terrible condition; it is duct taped and glued to try to hold it together. It will take about $5K to replace it and provide a hard-shelled carrying case.

If your interested in making a donation please make your checks payable to WIU Foundation and mail your checks to 1221 W Jackson Street, Macomb, IL 61455 - Attention Kathy Early. Kathy is a big supporter of Men’s and Women’s Athletics and is heading the fundraising campaign. You’ll receive a receipt and your donation is tax deductible.

Thank you for considering Leatherneck Nation!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

If we were holding 50-50 drawings at all home games, we would be well on our way to a new uniform for Rocky and other campus needs. Bison do it. Spartans do it. Why not us?

http://www.msuspartans.com/ot/5050.html

That said, although I will always be a firm believer in duct tape, my check to Kathy is now in the mail.
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

sealhall74 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:07 amIf we were holding 50-50 drawings at all home games, we would be well on our way to a new uniform for Rocky and other campus needs.
Western did do 50-50 drawings back in the Dr Helen Smiley days.
Leatherneck309

It has been a busy month and I just saw this thread. Has the drive for a new Rocky uniform been successful or are they still looking for money?

Also what are they doing with the old one? I would think they could auction it to get some money from an alumni who might be interested in it. Be cool to have in my man cave!
GV Dad

https://www.givecampus.com/schools/West ... a-new-suit

I just donated at this website. Looks like we are about half way there!
sealhall74

We might be closer than that to the goal. I sent my check to the university address several weeks ago. I am not sure that my donation is reflected in the online site.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Retired Rocky mascot Colonel Rock III has died:

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000