Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.

Which would you rather have?

Mary Ann: Quite a few Ws, not many witnesses
100%
Ginger: lot of witnesses, not many Ws
No votes

Total votes: 4
sealhall74

Interested in your thoughts here. Just for fun. Two choices. You only get one.

1) Mary Ann: I.E., general overall success on the fields/courts but only so-so attendance
2) Ginger: I.E., Great attendance with considerably less than stellar success on the fields/court
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Like...continuously in that state?
I mean, if we had sustained success on the court/field (option 1), then likely we'd get better attendance. Or are we saying that in this scenario, we could win multiple FCS championships or trips to the NCAA tournament every year and still not draw much of a crowd at events?

I guess if I had to pick one, I'd go with Option 1 because I know that success in sports can also translate into increased enrollment, even if it doesn't lead to increased attendance.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Tere North

ST_Lawson wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:53 am success in sports can also translate into increased enrollment, even if it doesn't lead to increased attendance.
The Women's BB team success last year certainly didn't add to increased enrollment. Down again, and even more so among females.
sealhall74

Tere North wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:46 pm
ST_Lawson wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:53 am success in sports can also translate into increased enrollment, even if it doesn't lead to increased attendance.
The Women's BB team success last year certainly didn't add to increased enrollment. Down again, and even more so among females.
So, no "Flutie Effect" for the Leathernecks. Can't say I am surprised.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Tere North wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:46 pm
I meant more like long-term sustained success. Like, making the tournament more years than not, occasionally pulling a deep run to the Elite 8 or something. A 1-off year of that level of success isn't going to do much, but if that becomes the "expected" level, then I think we'll see more people at games.

I'm not saying like Baylor, Tennessee, Notre Dame, or UConn-level success in women's basketball, but like...South Dakota State-type success. The last time SDSU did not play in either the Women's NCAA Tournament or the WNIT was the '05-'06 season. The last time they had a losing season...'85-'86. Since then, they have had 19 seasons with 20+ wins (and 12 seasons with fewer than 20 wins). I think that's something that we could aspire to be like, and I think it would have some impact on enrollment and on home attendance.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
rocki

sealhall74 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:37 am Interested in your thoughts here. Just for fun. Two choices. You only get one.

1) Mary Ann: I.E., general overall success on the fields/courts but only so-so attendance
2) Ginger: I.E., Great attendance with considerably less than stellar success on the fields/court
As an overthinker, I am going to have to pass on this one. Is everyone happy with Ginger? Does Ginger still bring in enough revenue to have a nice place to visit? What about Mary Ann? With not many witnesses, is she satisfied with her success alone? Does the fact that she doesn't have many witnesses make her place less nice to visit?

You know, it's really easier to pick between Gilligan's Mary Ann and Ginger........... :lol: