ESPN 3 apparently gone from WIU Basketball?

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
WIUSuperFan

Hey Leatherneck Nation, I don't know if you noticed recently, but there have been no ESPN 3 broadcasts for basketball games. I know we had Winter Break and there are usually little to no broadcasts during break, but I discovered that the all access video website had many WIU home games listed for the rest of the season. After contacting a few people within WIU, it sounds like ESPN 3 will not be utilized by WIU for the rest of the season. Only like 2-3 games per team will be aired to my knowledge. I rely on ESPN 3 for WIU sporting events since I no longer live in Macomb. It's a shame to have these broadcasts apparently gone. IF this elimination is true, hopefully enough people will voice up to hopefully bring back the broadcasts. In that case, please contact Matt Tanny and/or Darian Westerfield about it. Your voice does have power if combined with many others.

Otherwise, have you heard anything about this? What's your reaction on it? Please comment. Thanks. Go Leathernecks.
Devin Biggs
BS, Meteorology (2017)
Alumnus of Western Illinois University
Email: dm-biggs@wiu.edu
leatherneckcountry

I personally hate the Espn 3 when it comes to football if it's a home game I'm there and most of the road games are pretty easy to find online they make games take 4 freaking hours but I understand it's nice for those who can't make it to the games.
wiu712

Only a few Western games are listed on the "Upcoming" list at ESPN3.

Men:
January 27 at North Dakota State
February 1 vs South Dakota

Women:
February 22 at North Dakota State
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

leatherneckcountry wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:21 pm I personally hate the Espn 3 when it comes to football if it's a home game I'm there and most of the road games are pretty easy to find online they make games take 4 freaking hours but I understand it's nice for those who can't make it to the games.
Just to be clear though, the "find online" is actually not technically "legal" and usually comes from the ESPN3 broadcast anyway. Essentially, someone "captures" the feed from ESPN3 or Leathernecks All-Access, then streams it online through a site that places like FirstRow then link to. If there's no broadcast for ESPN3, then you're generally not going to find the stream available online anywhere.

Although it sounds like, with regards to basketball, that most of the games from here on out will be on ESPN3. They're just not listed on ESPN's site as being available there yet.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

There is probably a lot going on underneath covers that we dont know about. Take the Jacks for example. Most of their home games are listed as being broadcast on ESPN3 among other network places. However, they dont seem to want to give ESPN3 access to their home games against both us and Denver. So maybe, just maybe, schools are expecting some sort of payment or reciprocal agreement from the visiting school? Or maybe ESPN expects a certain level of viewership on that game based on metro area size, etc? Or maybe ESPN expects a certain quality level for all of their broadcasts (I could write a book on where we are there. Did anyone else have a problem with the sound last night or it fading to black a few times in the 2nd half?). Or maybe we do not have enough people available to make it all happen the way ESPN wants it to happen.

If I am MT, I consolidate the radio and video broadcast efforts and use the radio guy and color guy to be the audio sources for both network streams. Yeah, I know that is pure heresy to take that privilege away from our signature broadcasting program but sometimes you want to put your best foot forward on display to the world.

But we do deserve an explanation if our mens and womens hoops are not being regularly broadcast on ESPN3.
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

sealhall74 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:55 amIf I am MT, I consolidate the radio and video broadcast efforts and use the radio guy and color guy to be the audio sources for both network streams.
There are 3 broadcast sources for home games when the college is in session:
WRMS Radio (Scott Kornberg for the Men's games and Danny Frey for the Women's games)
WIUS Radio (2-person team)
Video Stream on ESPN3 or Leatherneck All-Access (2-person team)
sealhall74

wiu712 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:02 am
sealhall74 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:55 amIf I am MT, I consolidate the radio and video broadcast efforts and use the radio guy and color guy to be the audio sources for both network streams.
There are 3 broadcast sources for home games when the college is in session:
WRMS Radio (Scott Kornberg for the Men's games and Danny Frey for the Women's games)
WIUS Radio (2-person team)
Video Stream on ESPN3 or Leatherneck All-Access (2-person team)
Perfect. Leave the students on WIUS so they can get some good experience calling the games.
They also get video exposure on the non-money maker sports like volleyball and baseball.
Also, I know it could never happen all of the time because of logistics, but a Kornberg Frey duo would be off the charts.
Embrace the pace of the race.
leatherneckcountry

ST_Lawson wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:36 am
leatherneckcountry wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:21 pm I personally hate the Espn 3 when it comes to football if it's a home game I'm there and most of the road games are pretty easy to find online they make games take 4 freaking hours but I understand it's nice for those who can't make it to the games.
Just to be clear though, the "find online" is actually not technically "legal" and usually comes from the ESPN3 broadcast anyway. Essentially, someone "captures" the feed from ESPN3 or Leathernecks All-Access, then streams it online through a site that places like FirstRow then link to. If there's no broadcast for ESPN3, then you're generally not going to find the stream available online anywhere.

Although it sounds like, with regards to basketball, that most of the games from here on out will be on ESPN3. They're just not listed on ESPN's site as being available there yet.
I was talking about like Ovc network and USD games are free pluto TV as well the only two road games I didn't find last year was coastal and the ISU game.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

leatherneckcountry wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:18 pm
ST_Lawson wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:36 am

I was talking about like Ovc network and USD games are free pluto TV as well the only two road games I didn't find last year was coastal and the ISU game.
Ah, ok. Yeah, those are fine.

Also, for reference, from the broadcasting department (by way of WIUSuperFan), here is the spring schedule for WIU sports on ESPN (I assume ESPN3 for probably all of them):

So, 2 out of the remaining 5 men's home games and 4 of the remaining 6 home women's games. Better than what ESPN was saying at least.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000