Danielle Surprenant named Interim AD

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
sealhall74

Softball, volleyball, and baseball, 90% of attendees are students, staff, or parents who are all getting in free anyway. Not worth the effort keeping track of the others. However, I would like to see a 50-50 drawing for all events. It brings a little extra money and also keeps people around until the drawing takes place.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Those are some good ideas. I know the 50/50 drawing one has been mentioned before, but it's a good thing to run, especially at games that don't normally charge for admission.

I really like the food truck idea if it's something that can be worked out legally. They can be taken around to any of on-campus events and parked nearby. Football in-stadium concessions are decent, but it could be set up out in the parking lot for a couple of hours during tailgating at least, parked nearby for things like baseball, softball, soccer, etc. All of the outdoor sports could benefit from it. Like was mentioned earlier, have it be an independent study credit for upperclassmen students in Nutrition and Foodservice Management and Hospitality Management.

They could also take it around to any other outdoor campus events, things during the early fall and late spring semester, and even...if they wanted to...park it somewhere on campus around lunchtime during the week and have it available for students and staff to eat at.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

GV Dad wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 9:11 amEvery sport needs an admission fee. Even if it's as low as $2-$5.
This is not a common practice.

UIUC charges admission only for Football, Men's Basketball, Women's Basketball, and Volleyball.

Admission for regular season events are free for the following UIUC Fighting Illini sports:
Baseball
Golf
Gymnastics
Soccer
Softball
Swimming and Diving
Tennis
Track and Cross Country
Wrestling
Last edited by wiu712 on Wed May 30, 2018 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GV Dad

wiu712 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 12:05 pm
GV Dad wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 9:11 amEvery sport needs an admission fee. Even if it's as low as $2-$5.
This is not a common practice any where.

UIUC charges admission only for Football, Men's Basketball, Women's Basketball, and Volleyball.

Admission for regular season events are free for the following UIUC Fighting Illini sports:
Baseball
Golf
Gymnastics
Soccer
Softball
Swimming and Diving
Tennis
Track and Cross Country
Wrestling
Can't speak for all schools, but I just double checked. The 2 schools I follow most, or did until my son signed at WIU, are KU and Univ of Central Missouri. Both charge for all sports. One an FBS D1 and one a D2. So "this is not a common practice anywhere" is a false statement.
GV Dad

I love when conversations take off on this board! I wish more people would post and not just view. Seems like its the same 6-10 people that comment. I love their passion, we just need some more "first time callers"! LOL
leatherneckcountry

GV Dad wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 1:37 pm I love when conversations take off on this board! I wish more people would post and not just view. Seems like its the same 6-10 people that comment. I love their passion, we just need some more "first time callers"! LOL
Yeah there's not a whole lot going on kind of a dead time so not a ton to talk about of the few boards i follow all pretty slow right now.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

GV Dad wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 1:37 pm I love when conversations take off on this board! I wish more people would post and not just view. Seems like its the same 6-10 people that comment. I love their passion, we just need some more "first time callers"! LOL
In case anyone is curious, here's the list of members sorted by number of posts: memberlist.php?mode=&sk=d&sd=d#memberlist

Of the top 25 most active members, we have, I think, one non-WIU person (OldHare is an SDSU guy).
GV Dad, you are...by nearly a full year...the most recently-joined person in the top 25.

I agree though, I wish more people would contribute. We have quite a few people who have joined and only have one or two posts, and I'm sure a lot more that stop by every now and then but haven't registered. I think that's pretty much the case with just about every site out there though.
GV Dad

ST_Lawson wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 2:00 pm
In case anyone is curious, here's the list of members sorted by number of posts: memberlist.php?mode=&sk=d&sd=d#memberlist

Of the top 25 most active members, we have, I think, one non-WIU person (OldHare is an SDSU guy).
GV Dad, you are...by nearly a full year...the most recently-joined person in the top 25.

I agree though, I wish more people would contribute. We have quite a few people who have joined and only have one or two posts, and I'm sure a lot more that stop by every now and then but haven't registered. I think that's pretty much the case with just about every site out there though.
Scott, does this board have the ability to activate a "like" function?
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

GV Dad wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 2:19 pm
ST_Lawson wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 2:00 pm

Scott, does this board have the ability to activate a "like" function?
Not by default (like built-in), but there might be a plugin that'll let us do something like that. I'll see what I can come up with.
wiu712

Today is May 31. The deadline day for creating a State Budget.

The budget plan on the table now would provide more money to Higher Education:

Higher education would see a 2 percent increase after years of budget cuts. That translates into a $25 million increase for public universities and community colleges.

In addition, the state would create a $25 million scholarship fund to be matched by public universities and community colleges. The goal of this new tuition assistance program is to keep Illinois students in Illinois attending Illinois schools.

The budget deal does not include shifting millions in state pension costs to universities and colleges.