Danielle Surprenant named Interim AD

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
LocalYokelFan

Would better concessions help? Yes -- But it isn't the problem. Honestly, I think it's more a symptom than the core 'disease'. Concessions beyond football are sometimes ran by off season coaches! If you're asking your off-season coaches to fill in concession help, you're in a pretty precarious situation to start with.

Ad for Assistant Coach X
Coaching
Recruiting
Helping out with concessions
Salary - Way less than competitors... and did we mention the furloughs? Here's how those work...

Look, I'm all for an AD that will come in, kick-a$$ and maximize this brands potential, but finding that person will be tough, considering the available resources. We certainly need it though. I hope we find a young, way under-the-radar AD who can come in, work their tail off and right the ship. It's one of those positions that will need a special kind of commitment and innovative spirit to get us where we need to be.

BTW - same thing for the University President, should that position become vacant. Band-aids and Neosporane seem to be keeping us alive, but tourniquets and scalpels might better solve the problem.
GV Dad

Agreed, concessions is only part of it, and I'm not sure anyone was trying to say it was more. But it is an example of where some creativity could improve the product.

At this point, I'm not sure we need an experienced AD. I'd like to see an Alum, who has done well in business, that would come in and run things like he or she was growing a business. I think there is enough sports talent in the Dept that can handle scheduling, compliance, travel, etc. We need marketing, fundraising and Leadership. Now, anyone know that person? :)
sealhall74

GV Dad wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 7:27 pm Agreed, concessions is only part of it, and I'm not sure anyone was trying to say it was more. But it is an example of where some creativity could improve the product.

At this point, I'm not sure we need an experienced AD. I'd like to see an Alum, who has done well in business, that would come in and run things like he or she was growing a business. I think there is enough sports talent in the Dept that can handle scheduling, compliance, travel, etc. We need marketing, fundraising and Leadership. Now, anyone know that person? :)
Give Brad Bainter a 2-3 year TDY assignment before he retires and rides off into the sunset.

http://www.wiu.edu/news/newsrelease.php?release_id=8177
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

Tere North wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 2:23 pmThe concessions for Basketball games are abysmal.
At least the concession stand was open for all of the games this year.

A few years ago, the concession stand was not open for a couple of the games during the semester break.
GV Dad

sealhall74 wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 7:47 pm
GV Dad wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 7:27 pm Agreed, concessions is only part of it, and I'm not sure anyone was trying to say it was more. But it is an example of where some creativity could improve the product.

Give Brad Bainter a 2-3 year TDY assignment before he retires and rides off into the sunset.

http://www.wiu.edu/news/newsrelease.php?release_id=8177
I don't see any Business experience outside of working for WIU in this BIO?
sealhall74

GV Dad, you are probalby right about no business background for Brad although I would think in his postion he would spend a whole bunch of time trying to get the most bang for buck in order to improve the bottom line. Not sure if he would take the gig even if offered it.

Regarding food concessions, they are a serious shortcoming, probably the most glaring shortcoming visible to those who visit a lot of different sports venues during the year. Needs a total rethink here. Let me ask a simple question. Neither of the following options is necessarily ideal, but which makes more sense.

1) Let the student athletes and/or coaches manage gameday concessions
or
2) Give students from the WIU Nutrition and Food Service Management program the opportunity to earn academic credit hours by managing and working the concession stands on game days. I am not sure what they have in numbers but they can hire more students if necessary. Might as well learn the personnel management process as well. That very same academic department could also have a food service van or truck that they operate. In good weather, set up shop somewhere north of the union and catch the students as they head to and from classes. On gamedays, roll it down the sidewalk to the ball fields. It is always clean, stocked and ready to go wherever.

Campus food trucks are a trend across the nation, particularly in the warmer climes. I think most are operated by outside vendors who recognize an opportunity to make a buck when they see one.
Embrace the pace of the race.
leatherneckcountry

I don't know brad very well but i know a few people who know him very well and I don't think he would every entertain the option. Also does Sodexo have any influence on what can be sold at games anyone who has ever dealt with them knows there not easy to deal with.
wiu712

sealhall74 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 5:29 amRegarding food concessions, they are a serious shortcoming, probably the most glaring shortcoming visible to those who visit a lot of different sports venues during the year. Needs a total re-think here.
There is no Buffalo Wild Wings in Monmouth. Galesburg is the closest. Yet BWW sells food at Monmouth College football games.

BWW is a "Premier Partner" of Western Athletics. Perhaps they would be interested in running a food stand at Western events.
GV Dad

wiu712 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 7:58 am
sealhall74 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 5:29 amRegarding food concessions, they are a serious shortcoming, probably the most glaring shortcoming visible to those who visit a lot of different sports venues during the year. Needs a total re-think here.
There is no Buffalo Wild Wings in Monmouth. Galesburg is the closest. Yet BWW sells food at Monmouth College football games.

BWW is a "Premier Partner" of Western Athletics. Perhaps they would be interested in running a food stand at Western events.
I like this idea. I also like the idea of food trucks, or other portable concessions. It allows for a good variety of options and you do not incur the immediate cost of constructing a permanent concession facility.

Again, I know it's not all about concessions, but it is an area that I feel proves we need more creative thinkers in the Athletic Dept. Also, every sport needs an admission fee. Even if it's as low as $2-$5. That's not going to turn folks away. Even the Cape Cod league passes the hat to collect money to pay for the Umpires. ;)
leatherneckcountry

GV Dad wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 9:11 am
wiu712 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 7:58 am

I like this idea. I also like the idea of food trucks, or other portable concessions. It allows for a good variety of options and you do not incur the immediate cost of constructing a permanent concession facility.

Again, I know it's not all about concessions, but it is an area that I feel proves we need more creative thinkers in the Athletic Dept. Also, every sport needs an admission fee. Even if it's as low as $2-$5. That's not going to turn folks away.

Outside of VB many of the schools that i looked up don't charge for the other sports so free admission is a normal thing. From what I can find U of I doesn't even charge for the other sports.
Last edited by leatherneckcountry on Wed May 30, 2018 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.