Danielle Surprenant named Interim AD

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
sealhall74

Serious question here. What kind of leadership do you think we currently have in the house? The kind that asks this AD or her replacement to do a department study and determine if we are a better fit in D1 or D2 or this conference or that conference? Or the kind that gathers their own data from the AD and many other parties and directs the AD to take us where we want to go?
Embrace the pace of the race.
GV Dad

wiu712 wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:09 pm
Tere North wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:20 amOne of her statements, "“With them moving to Sioux Falls, they’re within driving distance of five institutions and we have shifted that way as a conference, so I think we have to look at that as we move forward." I wonder if this means she's looking at the potential of a conference change.
UW-Parkside just left the GLVC. That leaves them with 15 members.
You realize,even at D2 standards, that Conf is a JOKE right?
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

GV Dad wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:20 pm
Tere North wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:20 amOne of her statements, "“With them moving to Sioux Falls, they’re within driving distance of five institutions and we have shifted that way as a conference, so I think we have to look at that as we move forward." I wonder if this means she's looking at the potential of a conference change.
Yup. If we ended up going D2 (which I do not want to see, personally), I think we'd be better off in the MIAA with some pretty good football schools like NW Missouri State and Pittsburg State. NWMSU also was the 2017 DII Men's BBall champion with Central Missouri winning back in 2014.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
leatherneckcountry

For Football yes but it's a really good conference in other sports.
GV Dad

leatherneckcountry wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:55 pm

For Football yes but it's a really good conference in other sports.
No, they really aren't.
sealhall74

If nattys are not overrated, the score is:
MIAA 32
GLVC 16
leatherneckcountry

sealhall74 wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:09 pm If nattys are not overrated, the score is:
MIAA 32
GLVC 16
The GLVC has 28
sealhall74

leatherneckcountry wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:19 pm
sealhall74 wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:09 pm If nattys are not overrated, the score is:
MIAA 32
GLVC 16
The GLVC has 28
You are right if you throw in the accomplishments of former members. I guess we are arguing about what the meaning of the word is is. lol
wiu712

MIAA= Mid-America Intercollegiate Athletics Association.

It is a fourteen-school collegiate athletic conference headquartered in Kansas City, Missouri. It is a member of the NCAA's Division II for all sports. Its fourteen members, located in Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, and Oklahoma, include eleven public and three private schools.

Omaha was in the MIAA before joining the Summit League.

Current members:
Central Missouri
Central Oklahoma
Emporia State
Fort Hays State
Lincoln University
Lindenwood University
Missouri Southern
Missouri Western
Nebraska-Kearney
Northeastern State (Oklahoma)
Northwest Missouri State
Pittsburg State
Southwest Baptist
Washburn University

Newman University will be joining the MIAA in Fall 2019.

Enrollments in the MIAA range from 3,583 to 16,428. Western's enrollment would be in the mid-range.
Neckfansince71

Back in 2011-12 I was involved in the university “strategic plan” led by the Smith group, which meant that 4 separate times I did the down and back to WIU/Macomb to take part in meetings and discussion regarding the future of Western. People were a bit shocked that I would go 3:45 hours down and 3:45 minutes back but I felt like a had something to say regarding the direction of my “alma mater” both as a graduate and member of the Alumni Council Board! I remember hearing about a meeting in which WIU’s involvement in D1 athletics was discussed, pros and cons! The final verdict was, students throughout the nation including WIU identified with major college athletics, especially with the “Big Dance!” Since the season of 16/17 for women, we all know now what a trip to the “dance” can do for a program. The men were oh so close a couple of years ago too and how many times has football qualified for the FCS championship playoffs. Yes I understand that money is an issue due to a whole lot of factors, but I think the Summit is well aware of the travel costs for schools east of the Mississippi and some help maybe on the way. The decision to go D1 was made back in the late 70’s when all the schools that had been our rivalry and competition went D1 as well. If WIU was going to go D2, that would have been the time to re-establish rivalries with the MIAA schools that have been mentioned here, not 30 years later.

Now I definitely understand that we need to plan for the future, but I am of the opinion that the future for Western, if the right moves are made is very bright indeed. We all know changes are definitely needed as far a direction is concerned. But none of us could have foreseen $0 budgets for two years straight along with all the rumors regarding reorganization and closing, plus the union stress. And, how many of us could have foreseen or believed there would be money for the CPA in this year’s budget. Well, WIU/Macomb is now being proactive! I see the athletic department being pro-active as well. We’ve got some work to do. Let’s get started! ;) jc