Athletic facilities timeline

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
Western_101

When will Western see a new West side stadium? When will the new arena in the "Master plan" be realized?

I have no worldly idea about either. My completely uneducated guess would be:

West side- 2025

Arena- 2032

Also arena will be more like Renaissance Coliseum at Bradley with a 4,200 capacity. I don't see a 6,000 seat venue materializing.

Thoughts from the Nation?
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

No clue here either, but I think if the West side is going to happen, it'll be a little sooner than 2025. As for the arena, I agree...we don't need larger, just nicer.

I retire in 2045 and I'm really hoping to see both plus the new performing arts center by the time I'm done here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

If there is any truth to us being $400M behind on existing facility maintenance, the date may be closer to 2525 IF MAN IS STILL ALIVE. lol
Embrace the pace of the race.
Western_101

One other observation. The renderings of the West side that Scott has shared with us seem absolutely perfect for a medium sized (8k-10k) D-I university participating at the FCS level. Western doesn't need an 18,000 seat stadium. Western needs a new "state of the art" 12,000 seat stadium with excellent sight lines, lodge suites, major press box expansion, and season ticket holder chair back seats. The West side needs to be the Jewel in the middle of Western's beautiful campus. The Jewel in the campus valley. (Ha, Missouri Valley too huh).

I actually love everything about where Hanson Field is situated on campus.
rocki

sealhall74 wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:55 pm If there is any truth to us being $400M behind on existing facility maintenance, the date may be closer to 2525 IF MAN IS STILL ALIVE. lol
I hate that song. (No) thanks for the reminder - it will be stuck in my head forever now. Dammit, Seal!!!!!!!!!!
Neckfansince71

So what's today? June 29th, 2018! My educated guess would be that 3 years from today we will have the stadium facility that our athletes and fans deserve. This is just my opinion!

Redneck, I have to agree with you. I absolutely love where Hanson Field is situated in the middle of campus. I have told this story before but I think it is appropriate to tell again. When Youngstown came to play at Hanson, I stopped and talked with some Penguin fans and pretty much apologized for the way the west side looked. They could have cared less and instead went on and on about how it was so neat to be tailgating surrounded by a beautiful college campus and how Hanson just complimented the landscape and vice versa. They liked the east side too.

As far as an arena.....I am not sure I will ever see one built in my lifetime. Would be nice and I agree on the size. I think the WIU campus and community would be better served by an inflatable structure next to the soccer field which would house an indoor track, tennis courts, practice facilities for all spring sports and football etc. The one that was erected in Peoria is just what the doctor ordered. Have been to the Rosemont dome a number of times and except for it collapsing once in a storm, it has stood the test of time.

My final comment, WIU/Macomb are attached at the hip. Town and gown is absolutely important. So are Marketing and Development!!!!!! Time to get back to work! Anyone want to help? ;) jc
sealhall74

Neckfansince71 wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:16 am So what's today? June 29th, 2018! My educated guess would be that 3 years from today we will have the stadium facility that our athletes and fans deserve. This is just my opinion!

Redneck, I have to agree with you. I absolutely love where Hanson Field is situated in the middle of campus. I have told this story before but I think it is appropriate to tell again. When Youngstown came to play at Hanson, I stopped and talked with some Penguin fans and pretty much apologized for the way the west side looked. They could have cared less and instead went on and on about how it was so neat to be tailgating surrounded by a beautiful college campus and how Hanson just complimented the landscape and vice versa. They liked the east side too.

As far as an arena.....I am not sure I will ever see one built in my lifetime. Would be nice and I agree on the size. I think the WIU campus and community would be better served by an inflatable structure next to the soccer field which would house an indoor track, tennis courts, practice facilities for all spring sports and football etc. The one that was erected in Peoria is just what the doctor ordered. Have been to the Rosemont dome a number of times and except for it collapsing once in a storm, it has stood the test of time.

My final comment, WIU/Macomb are attached at the hip. Town and gown is absolutely important. So are Marketing and Development!!!!!! Time to get back to work! Anyone want to help? ;) jc
I can wait that long I guess. But when it comes time for the groundbreaking ceremony, lets do it right this time with a freaking backhoe. :lol:
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

Happy 4th of July!

wiu712

Fireworks at the Colonel Rock Hanson Statue.