WTF? with Directional school?

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
Western_101

Love to get people's opinions on the neat "Directional Schools" tag that seems to have come into vogue.

I guess like Northwestern (that's a direction)
University of Southern California
Southern Miss.
South Florida

Truman State and Missouri State are no longer "Directional Schools" one merely changes the name, "duh"

Once Western changes to Grant State University, well, we will be an entirely new classification of university. I mean that's pretty obvious.

Thoughts?
sealhall74

If you are a private school, I don't think a directional label makes much difference. But if you are a public school, it makes all the difference in the world because chances are, prospective students will need a compass to find you after they have been turned down by the state flagship school. If that compass is not an app on their cell phone, they will probably never find you. Herein lies the real problem facing the directionals today. UIUC enrollment was around 35K when I was a WIU student in 1974. Now it is approaching 50K.

There is also some debate among the directionals these days on whether or not losing your distinction of being a great party school actually hurts enrollment. I tend to think it does. SIU was probably at the top the heap in that regard when I was in school. Now, they are not even on the radar. But guess who is there, according to the Princeton Review, Yep, UIUC is near the top in the nation.

You gotta be known for something or you will be forgotten for nothing. ;)
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:57 am There is also some debate among the directionals these days on whether or not losing your distinction of being a great party school actually hurts enrollment. I tend to think it does. SIU was probably at the top the heap in that regard when I was in school. Now, they are not even on the radar. But guess who is there, according to the Princeton Review, Yep, UIUC is near the top in the nation.

You gotta be known for something or you will be forgotten for nothing. ;)
I don't know if it's the designation that makes a difference. I kinda feel like it's the reverse of that actually. Like...a school that has a lively, engaged, and happy student population is more likely to have people at sporting events, more easily able to attract students, and more likely to have some fun parties on the weekends. So, I think when WIU had a really well-known party scene, it was because we were doing well, morale was high, and people were enjoying themselves.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Western_101

Bring "The Pit" back!

Things were raucous back in the late 90s early 00s.
BobLovely

From my experience the term "directional school" is considered to be derogatory and at least, snobby in most social circles I have been exposed to. In order words, you had to "settle" for a directional school for your post secondary education...

Bob
beauspencer

Bring "The Pit" back!

When we were tailgating in The Pit, the consensus at the time (in my circles) was that it was too crowded and small. We would have loved to tailgate in Q Lot.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

beauspencer wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:07 am
Bring "The Pit" back!

When we were tailgating in The Pit, the consensus at the time (in my circles) was that it was too crowded and small. We would have loved to tailgate in Q Lot.
Also, something about the enclosed area sometimes made things a bit too rowdy. The band used to march through the pit to the field when people tailgated in the pit and frequently we would get stuff thrown at us...beer cans mostly. Q-Lot makes for a much nicer tailgate environment, allows them to do things like the BBQ competition, bands, etc. and still have plenty of room for all the tailgaters.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Western_101

Actually toward the end the "Pit" was an unmitigated bastion of very tightly packed obnoxious drunks. Anybody gonna tell me otherwise?

So, Regional school is a thing. Missouri State is classified as a Regional School. Western is a Regional School.

When someone makes a comment about this or that "directional school" it is not meant to be complimentary. It's pejorative in context.

Psych 101, I barely got into ISU with a 21 on my ACT. I feel very insecure. Let me run my mouth and give my best attempt to discredit or otherwise dismiss or marginalize other Institutions.