Western Band

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
wiu712

The Western Marching Band has really scaled back its pre-game activities.

Long-time Western fans will remember that the band would march down from Tillman Hall to the Union north patio ("Ashtray") one hour before kick-off. Then the band would play 2-3 songs, the Fight Song, and Georgia. Then the band would march down to play the Fight Song for the President's Tent lunch and at the Q-Lot tailgating.

A few years ago, the band eliminated its performance at the Union, but did continue playing at the President's Tent and Q-Lot.

Then last year, all pre-game performances outside the stadium were eliminated.

I have not heard a reason for this change. The band director (Matt Thomas) has been there for a while. Makes it seem like the decision came from someone other than him.

A university that forgets its traditions is not a good sign.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

This was actually a request by Coach Fisher. He wanted the band to be down at the tailgate area to play for the Leatherneck Walk thing and because of scheduling and stuff, the band was not able to do the "Pregame at the Ashtray" performance anymore. Many of the band alumni were also disappointed in the change (we enjoyed it too) and we've requested to be able to do it at Homecoming. I can't guarantee that we will be doing it, but I've heard from Dr. Matt Thomas that if we can, we'll do it. I don't know if they'll keep doing it, or what, but at least for Homecoming, we're going to try to do it if it can work out schedule-wise.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
leatherneckcountry

I loved listening to the band out there even though I didn't know it was called that I hadn't ever heard it called that before. Maybe they'll realize they should put it back over there.
sealhall74

I like the idea of reaching out into the community the night before a home game or even the morning of game day. Nebraska does it. They send their pep band into Misty's, a downtown Lincoln steakhouse, and put on a little show for the diners on Friday night. The also used to send a larger group to a popular pub called Grandmother's but I think that place has closed down. Would this work in Macomb with Friday night high school football going on? I think it might. Someplace on the square would be ideal for a trial run.

Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:18 am I like the idea of reaching out into the community the night before a home game or even the morning of game day. Nebraska does it. They send their pep band into Misty's, a downtown Lincoln steakhouse, and put on a little show for the diners on Friday night. The also used to send a larger group to a popular pub called Grandmother's but I think that place has closed down. Would this work in Macomb with Friday night high school football going on? I think it might. Someplace on the square would be ideal for a trial run.
I know that some bands will make a point of setting up performances at some high schools periodically too, to improve recruiting. A friend of mine is the band director at a HS in Iowa and they had the Iowa State marching band come and perform at one of their home football games. I feel like getting more area HS kids introduced to the Marching Leathernecks would help recruiting quite a bit. A large part of why I joined was because I saw them perform at the WIU Marching Band Classic.
GV Dad

I'm obviously new to WIU, so I don't know all the traditions yet. I love the Leatherneck walk though, and hope they continue. Any way the can incorporate both?
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

GV Dad wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:01 pm I'm obviously new to WIU, so I don't know all the traditions yet. I love the Leatherneck walk though, and hope they continue. Any way the can incorporate both?
Band with the walk? They used to, when Coach Fisher was here and started the Leatherneck walk thing, the band participated too. The problem is, the band playing all that they normally did prior to even entering the stadium, plus the smaller numbers of the band, meant that a lot of the band members playing ability was nearly shot before they even did pregame. It'd be like having the football team go and run a 5k just before the game. I've done both...actually, I did both the day of Homecoming, and trust me...physically, it's much easier to run a 5k than it is to play that loudly for an entire football game.
I think that figuring out the timing was also an issue. The band usually has a rehearsal in the morning, then they have to be ready to go by an hour before kickoff. Adding in the Leatherneck Walk part essentially eliminated whatever time the band had to eat lunch (for a normal 1 PM game).
GV Dad

ST_Lawson wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:09 pm
GV Dad wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:01 pm I'm obviously new to WIU, so I don't know all the traditions yet. I love the Leatherneck walk though, and hope they continue. Any way the can incorporate both?
Band with the walk? They used to, when Coach Fisher was here and started the Leatherneck walk thing, the band participated too. The problem is, the band playing all that they normally did prior to even entering the stadium, plus the smaller numbers of the band, meant that a lot of the band members playing ability was nearly shot before they even did pregame. It'd be like having the football team go and run a 5k just before the game. I've done both...actually, I did both the day of Homecoming, and trust me...physically, it's much easier to run a 5k than it is to play that loudly for an entire football game.
I think that figuring out the timing was also an issue. The band usually has a rehearsal in the morning, then they have to be ready to go by an hour before kickoff. Adding in the Leatherneck Walk part essentially eliminated whatever time the band had to eat lunch (for a normal 1 PM game).
Could they split up? Have the Drums and small sect walk with the players and another group play the pre game stuff? I apologize in advance, I have zero knowledge of band stuff.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

GV Dad wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:13 pm Could they split up? Have the Drums and small sect walk with the players and another group play the pre game stuff? I apologize in advance, I have zero knowledge of band stuff.
No need to apologize, everyone has their areas of expertise...this just happens to be one of mine.
That's not something that we could likely do with any level of success with the current numbers in the band. For example, in the current band, the entire low brass section is: 3 trombones, 1 baritone, 3 sousaphones (tubas). That's not really enough people to split into two groups and do anything well.

I've considered trying to get a small alumni band to come play at tailgating at all games, but unfortunately, most band alumni live hours away from here and really only come back for Homecoming...if ever.
GV Dad

ST_Lawson wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:42 pm
GV Dad wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:13 pm Could they split up? Have the Drums and small sect walk with the players and another group play the pre game stuff? I apologize in advance, I have zero knowledge of band stuff.
No need to apologize, everyone has their areas of expertise...this just happens to be one of mine.
That's not something that we could likely do with any level of success with the current numbers in the band. For example, in the current band, the entire low brass section is: 3 trombones, 1 baritone, 3 sousaphones (tubas). That's not really enough people to split into two groups and do anything well.

I've considered trying to get a small alumni band to come play at tailgating at all games, but unfortunately, most band alumni live hours away from here and really only come back for Homecoming...if ever.
Just a thought, could we get a "guest" High School band from the area for each game? Also adds to the attendance.