Who's been the best AD?

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
Tere North

Helen Smiley was key in uniting the Men's and Women's Athletic Departments. Prior to her time, Men's programs were featured and the Women's programs, while successful, did not receive the same financial support from the Athletics department. For example, Women's teams drove university vans to games, while Men's teams were commercially bussed; Women's teams slept 4 to a room, while Men's teams slept 2 to a room; and there was also a considerable discrepancy in food allowances. Under Helen, in conjunction with more equalized NCAA guidelines much changed to what you have today, including a united Sports Information office, although it was TVA who made the final move in making the Women's teams Leathernecks just as the Men's teams were instead of the self-named Westerwinds who prior to that were just WIU Women. Helen's efforts, not just a Western, but in pushing for greater gender quality throughout the conference(s) is why the best overall women's team award became known as the Helen Smiley award. As an FYI, Helen was the first female D1 AD nationally who over both Men's and Women's athletics.
Neckfansince71

Thanks Tere! obviously athletic equality was "big on her radar screen!" Just wish she had pushed a bit more to revitalize some of our dated facilities. I know the softball stadium was completed in 1998 which was during her tenure. Western Hall could have used a makeover along with the weight training facility as well which would have benefitted both Women's and Men's sports. The soccer stadium could have used more enhancements too. The facilities thing just seemed to get away from us somewhere between the end of Gil's career and Helen's. Maybe somebody up on the hill should have said "there is not money to do this in the budget. Go look for private funds!" Hanson Field in reality should have been a "university" project, not just an athletic one. ;) jc
Western_101

Helen was great for the women.

Under her tenure we fell further behind the facilities gap.

Under her tenure the boat for Horizon left without us. I'm not aware of any MVC interest or offers.
Neckfansince71

Yes, I will never forget the bait and switch that those schools that formed the Horizon pulled on WIU and the rest that were left. I think Oakland and Valpo and WIU were all that was left of name schools. Northeastern Illinois was still involved in athletics and I think Chicago State too. We then got to play alphabet soup with Central Conn and Troy entering the mix and then leaving. Seems like we were reactive instead of pro-active in this situation. ;) jc
LeatherCy

Let's not forget what TVA did to Coach P. State of IL ruled in Coach P's favor, which the state should have done, No retribution for TVA since the Pres and VP TVA reported to were retiring. I quit donating the day Coach P was pushed out and resumed the day TVA was fired. I was in school when Gil was the AD. Not the most personable guy. I believe he was a played FB in college at North Dakota State or something like that. Jack Margenthaler built a pretty good program with little support from Peterson . Gil ended up firing Jack. Jack had 15 one year contracts at WIU. Peterson would never give him a multi year contract. He got a multi year contract when he went to SIU-E his first contract!
Neckfansince71

So does anyone have any knowledge of the next AD replacement process and whether it has begun or not? I was under the impression it was going to start the first of the year. ;) jc
Tere North

Neckfansince71 wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:46 pm So does anyone have any knowledge of the next AD replacement process and whether it has begun or not? I was under the impression it was going to start the first of the year. ;) jc
Job notice says screening began February 5 with a start date of June 1.
https://wiu.interviewexchange.com/jobof ... BID=106631
sealhall74

Tere North wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:53 pm
Neckfansince71 wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:46 pm So does anyone have any knowledge of the next AD replacement process and whether it has begun or not? I was under the impression it was going to start the first of the year. ;) jc
Job notice says screening began February 5 with a start date of June 1.
https://wiu.interviewexchange.com/jobof ... BID=106631
So you already have to be a D1 Athletic Director to qualify? Hmmm, that is interesting. If that is the case, that will narrow the field substantially.
Embrace the pace of the race.
Neckfansince71

SealHall I take this to mean Division 1 experience which could equate to assistant AD also! ;) jc
sealhall74

Neckfansince71 wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:51 pm SealHall I take this to mean Division 1 experience which could equate to assistant AD also! ;) jc
The fact that we are dabating fuzzy wording in a job posting is probably indicative of how much we need the person sooner rather than later. :lol:
Embrace the pace of the race.