Restore The Glory

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
WIU0812

Attached is the initial flag design that the school came up with. Thoughts? Also, we are not getting many donations from what I can see so far after all the talk about trying to get this done.
Attachments
Flag Quote_NEFB_WIU 1.png
Flag Quote_NEFB_WIU 1.png (61.78 KiB) Viewed 5315 times
sealhall74

It is OK, pretty basic and would get the job done. But frankly, if I was going to put that or this (http://www.collegeflagsandbanners.com/w ... _prd1.html) on my wall or pole here at the house, I would go with the this and it's only 29.95 and could be here tomorrow. Both are 3' x 5', right? If so, I think it makes more sense to buy and fly a bunch of the 29.95 flags for all home games and give away each game set to some lucky fans in attendance who enter into the text "W1UFLAG" contest during the game. Just my thoughts.
Embrace the pace of the race.
WIU0812

I am glad you said it first as when I received it I was a little shocked. Initially I thought they said they would be larger, if it is the same size even if it is a little bit nicer of material it makes no sense for each flag to be 10 times the amount. Any more input on this would be great since we are the ones donating to the project I would hope there would be some kind of say in the flags.
wiu712

The flag that Seal Hall has proposed seems to be the best option.
WIU0812

Message has been sent requesting an explanation of why they went this route which seems way overpriced. They could buy approximately 60 of these flags for the price of the 6 flags they want to receive.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Yea, I'm not sure what's so special about the flag that makes it cost that much.
I'd be all for seeing about going with some of the $30 flags that you can get online or whatever. I know that in the past, you could also get them from the university bookstore (I have one on the wall in my office), so if we wanted to more directly support the university with the $, we could see if the bookstore could get some. Even if they only last 2-3 home games, 2 sets is still going to be WAY cheaper than the ones that were quoted.

I'd say, unless there's some crazy good reason for going with the expensive ones, I'd suggest seeing if they would be willing to put the money towards the cheaper flags. We should have enough to cover one full set donated already, I'd think.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
WIU0812

These flags and the ones in the book store are made for a home flag pole or a tail gate pole. That means they should at least a year if they were flown all day everyday through an entire year of weather. The flags should be taken down after each game and stored which means no sun fade, no water damage, no excessive wind. I have one of the flags from the bookstore and it has gone through about 10 tailgates and some pretty strong winds along with hanging up on my wall when not in use. These are definitely durable and would last multiple seasons if stored properly after each game.
wiu712

I vote we go with the flags from the Union Bookstore for the 5 remaining home games this year.
Neckfansince71

The flags that are sold in the union are really nice to put out on your house, I have done that many times and pretty much replace one every year, but they would look bush on the west side no matter what shape it is in! The athletic department needs your financial help not your artistic help! If you want flags on the west side, great, but it's the athletic departments job to get it done. That of course might change a bit if you want give them the money for all of them, but they are still going to run the show! ;) jc
Neckfansince71

Just so all of you understand, this is my gut reaction as a WIU fan, period! ;) jc