Restore The Glory

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
Neckfansince71

New bleachers in the north endzone are on the athletic department radar. The old green ones I think have been condemned! ;) jc
WIU0812

Good to hear! I definitely think they need to consider going with something like these 10 row 24' aluminum bleachers. 2 of these would hold roughly 300 fans and can be pulled by small utility tractor as showin in the picture below. Tommy is all about the multi-use equipment and these could definitely add to the baseball, softball, and soccer seating. In all reality they should get 4 of them which would cover about the proper distance of the end zone and would allow for 600 fans down on that side of the field, but that is more money as they run a little over $10,000 each.

This is about the area that 4 of these bleachers take up.
endzone.jpg
endzone.jpg (97.81 KiB) Viewed 5670 times
sealhall74

We might need custom-built bleachers with pontoon supports if they are going to be placed around McKenzie Field. I read where we got "issues" again for the game tomorrow. Always something needing attention. Right now for me it's a printer that won't work and a damn stray cat that is scratching the hell out of my patio screen door wanting something.
Embrace the pace of the race.
WIU0812

Check out how similar the Eastern Washington University stadium is to ours. They for those who don't know are ranked either #1 or #2 depending on where you look in the FCS this year.

It appears they have a large set of permanent stands on the side facing the scoreboard and then about 6 of those transportable bleachers I was talking about earlier on the other side.

But, they are in the plans of gaining funds for this huge addition! It appears they are going to remove, as I have said before needs to happen to Hanson Field, the track around the field and most likely will place this around the soccer field creating a multipurpose track and soccer facility. With the continued problems we have at our soccer field, and I know the funds are not there, it would be well worth the school to look into again. The track/soccer move at NIU I believe was around 3 million, but that included FIFA approved turf (they wanted to be able to allow play if Chicago was approved for the 2016 olympics) and pressbox along with bleachers as well as other amenities.
sealhall74

Lots of similarities, the seating layout, the track, the hillside viewing area. Regarding our track - is our current setup 100% complete now? I thought I read where there were some changes forthcoming regarding long jump pits and other areas. I was watching some video of the 2010 Lee Calhoun women's steeplechase a couple of days ago. They had the GRASS on Hanson Field (at that time) chalked or painted for what looked like discus or maybe javelin. With our new turf on the field, where do the all of the throwing events happen? Is it all in the north side area now?

I will be watching that Kickoff game this PM with a little more attention to detail for sure.
WIU0812

That is my understanding that all of this was redone along with the turf addition a few years back, the one good thing is the only changed the field events and those are many times in a separate area than the track which means it would not be a big issue if they ever did find the funds to move the track. I still think if they do some good planning they could build the new west stands right along the track where fence currently is and would not have to move the track for years, but would leave that option open for the future.
WIU0812

WIU0812 wrote:OK, so I finally received a reply to from WIU and it appears that the best way to donate and keep this organized is to use the pledge card and send in via mail. The address you need to send to is Western Illinois University, Attn: Michael Jones, 103D Western Hall, Macomb, IL 61455. The pledge card can be viewed here at http://www.goleathernecks.com/documents ... df?id=3126. When you do this direct it to football and you may want to write on there Flags for Stands.

Since this is going through the Leatherneck Club I would assume this will increase your amount pledged which is a added bonus! Also, if you do not feel like doing this through the mail it can be done over the phone by calling Michael Jones directly at 309-298-1190.

Do not forget to donate to the flag project as I know many of you wanted to see this done and it will take all of us to accomplish the goal! Even if it is only 10 dollars it all adds up and it will take a great deal of support to get this going especially if we want them flying by homecoming.
sealhall74

I am in with $50 for now. I ended up going to regular WIU donation site and just specifying category of Other/Leatherneck Flag Project. Hopefully that is where the money will end up. I think 812 mentioned this a while back, but we (i.e. this site) probably need a Pay Pal or similar account to better expedite and manage these "home grown" initiatives. But honestly, I will be really surprised if somebody does not somehow come up with the whole $2100 by the time that new scoreboard clock rolls down to 0 tomorrow night. I have faith that Leatherneck Nation has the right stuff and a little creative fire to get the job done!
WIU0812

Sounds like you can add $50 more to the tracker ST. I am sure it will reach the correct hands as long as you specified the flag project. Probably could have put "Flag Project Attn: Michael Jones"
WIU0812

Saw this on my facebook and thought it would be awesome if the school would do something like the picture below once they rebuild the stands and move the flags around the score board. Place 6 individual flag poles and hanging up the flags that are raised from the fundraiser over there once new stands are built. It appears after some research that this school has a new flag made each time they go to playoffs and hang them on the poles making for an impressive view. Its simple ideas like these that most likely are not super expensive in terms of campus improvements with each 50' commercial grade flag pole running about $3,700 bring a total of $22,200 & add shipping make it roughly $23,000 I would think that with labor and concrete they could finish project for around $35,000 to $40,000 which is a small amount compared to the touches it would add. Granted this school has 15 flag poles which is even more impressive, but start some where and maybe add some more down the road.
Attachments
10446223_953045971378146_296467426622052468_o.jpg
10446223_953045971378146_296467426622052468_o.jpg (98.18 KiB) Viewed 5526 times