Restore The Glory

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

I think they're essentially at the top of each of the aisles, if I remember correctly.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

WIU0812 wrote:Where exactly are the original flag holders located on the grandstand?
They are located on the top of the grandstand on the back side.
WIU0812

Thanks, I received a response from Tommy and they are looking in to the pole holders and old poles. If they are able to find these he will let me know and would be more than happy to accept some new flags and fly them at the games. I will let everyone know what he has to say and if he is able to find what they need to fly the flags I will set up a www.gofundme.com site which was better than the kickstarter one I mentioned before. Once set up people can donate to this and once the goal is reached for the amount needed to purchase the correct amount of flags I will either buy the flags and send them to Tommy or if he is able to get a better deal on flags I will send him the money and have him purchase the flags. This is all assuming we receive enough donations to purchase the flags.
wiu712

WIU0812 wrote:I received a response from Tommy, and they are looking into the pole holders and old poles. If they are able to find these, he will let me know and would be more than happy to accept some new flags and fly them at the games.
Great news!
Good work, WIU0812!
WIU0812

Update: I heard back from Tommy today and they have located the holders and poles. They have decided to fly all Western Flags and are expecting a cost of around $1000 to $1500 which at my guess is because they are either getting higher quality or larger flags or both than what I had located. They would appreciate the donations and if written in check form will will give gift credit which I would assume means it can be turned in on taxes as tax deductible. I will be in contact in the coming week deciding the best way to go about this. If I use the gofundme site it is a tax free site which means that the money is not taxable so no money will be lost(other than they take 7% for site use), but it can not be turned in on taxes. I will see if we can not get something better set up just through the school so that we can send money there and keep in touch with the totals as best as possible. Hopefully we are able to get enough donations to reach this goal.
wiu712

WIU0812 wrote:They have decided to fly all Western Flags.
Great idea! That will look nice on game days.
sealhall74

Get the Peach Blossoms and Cheerleaders working the crowd during the Valpo game with 50-50 raffle tickets and you could probably get close to $1K.
Embrace the pace of the race.
WIU0812

Unfortunately I am.not gonna be at that game. I will let everyone know what I find out. I plan on at least donating 100. If we don't reach it they most likely won't fly so this will be. A good test of the fan support for something small.
WIU0812

I received another email and here is the update for the flag purchase. Apparently the flags they want are $345/ EA and are 4' X 6' flags. Obviously they are much nicer and larger than the ones I was viewing. These take 4-6 weeks to manufacture so there is a very small window to do this. Here is the downside there is 6 flags which comes out to Approximately $2,100. I wish I had that kind of money sitting around to just give out and I wish we had more time to collect this. I have sent back an email requesting a few pieces of info which were where can donations be sent to, if someone sends in a donation can they relay message back to me so we can keep a running total, and if they would provide a picture of the flags they plan on hanging. I will update again once this info comes in. I could always set up a gofundme site if anyone on here would rather do that, but it seems kinda counter productive to lose 7% if the school will just accept a check. I am not sure if you could do the donations through the leatherneck club online donation feature and it may count towards total donated amount, but I will ask on the next email. I could definitely use some feedback on this.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

I love that you're getting this going. I think that if we can get enough info about the process and how to handle this sort of thing, it would be awesome if we could do this every year. Like, each year find something kinda small (in the grand financial scheme of things) that would improve the appearance or atmosphere of the stadium and work on funding it. I know that I'd donate something myself, as well as donating something from the Leatherneck Nation fund once the advertisements have covered the cost of hosting the site.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000