Leatherneck Legacy

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote:
RedNeck wrote:Maybe someone can teach me the words :oops:

Great new thing to build school pride.
I gotcha covered...just watch this a few dozen times (sorry about the cut off edges of the words, but you should still be able to read them):

[youtube][/youtube]
I have to say this one is a little tougher than my HS fight song (On Wisconsin). For us slow learners, how about using that new video board for a little karaoke-style help every time it is played. Go with a bouncing "Rocky" logo to help us keep the words in sync with the music and make it seem a little less lame.
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

sealhall74 wrote:For us slow learners, how about using that new video board for a little karaoke-style help every time it is played.
Illinois State does this--has the words up on their video scoreboard.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: I have to say this one is a little tougher than my HS fight song (On Wisconsin). For us slow learners, how about using that new video board for a little karaoke-style help every time it is played. Go with a bouncing "Rocky" logo to help us keep the words in sync with the music and make it seem a little less lame.
Yea, I know that one...."On Wisconsin, On Wisconsin, Cheese Cheese Cheese Cheese Cheeeeeeese!" (that's how it goes, right?...that's what all my U of Iowa friends told me anyway).

There's technically more to the song that isn't normally played. The band director in the late '90s brought it back for a few years and we'd perform the full thing during pregame. It hasn't really been performed since maybe 2000, but in the original music for the fight song, it's there.

Not sure how well that would work trying to sync up what's going on on the screen with what the band's playing...hopefully teaching the freshmen the song every year will help get more people to sing it at games, and gradually people will learn it better.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

ST_Lawson wrote: There's technically more to the song that isn't normally played. The band director in the late '90s brought it back for a few years and we'd perform the full thing during pregame. It hasn't really been performed since maybe 2000, but in the original music for the fight song, it's there.
It was Rod Schuller that brought back the original version of the Fight Song when he was the director 1999-2001. The original version contains the "dogfight" section. I remember that it was not popular with the fans. And it was discontinued when Mike Fansler took over as director in 2001.

The original version can be heard here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-s4X0ZjMDY

This should bring back some memories for Seal Hall:
http://www.illinoishsglorydays.com/id23.html
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

This is correct....also, it wasn't the only thing that Schuller did that people weren't happy about. Apparently he considered getting rid of "Georgia on my Mind" also...as well as a number of other things. He essentially wanted us to be a Big 10-style band.

Hey...I can hear myself on that recording :lol:
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000