Leatherneck Legacy

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
WIU0812

Check our this article. This is an awesome idea, Tommy Bell and his staff at it once again!

http://wiu.edu/news/newsrelease.php?release_id=11909
wiu712

Great idea!
Is there any video of this on You-Tube ???
WIU0812

I tries to find one buy looks like a no as of right now and the event happened in August so I suppose there won't be one.
LocalFan

Credit is due to Assistant Director of Admissions Sarah Jewell for organizing this event.
WIU0812

Thank you! I did not know who had organized which is why I said staff as well since I know that not everything is done by Tommy. Well hopefully it sticks and can grow in to a larger event each year.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

I shared this to facebook and one of my Marching Leatherneck friends (who marched in the late '00s) said this:
"As D.P. [former ML director Doug Phillips] once said....(they) will remember being part of this new tradition and can look back years from now and say they remember being there when that started. For us it was teaching the fight song to the football team for the first time, for the band now, it will be a freshman class."

When he was in band, that was the first time the football team actually learned the Fight Song and would come over to the band after a home win and sing it.

I haven't personally been involved in starting any traditions at Western myself, but I did do something similar in both High School and when I was marching with a Drum and Bugle Corps. This will be something that the current band members will remember for their entire lives. That they were a part of this when it began.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

This is a great thing. Hopefully it will grow even bigger in the future. Should have been taped if it was not and made a mandatory view for ALL incoming freshman who could not attend in person. I am sure they have ways to enforce that on the university computer system. That freshmen run onto the field first home game also nice tradition to start up. "Real" fans would not let a little bad weather prevent them from upholding that tradition.
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

When they do this next year, the University will need to make a video and post it.
Western_101

Maybe someone can teach me the words :oops:

Great new thing to build school pride.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

RedNeck wrote:Maybe someone can teach me the words :oops:

Great new thing to build school pride.
I gotcha covered...just watch this a few dozen times (sorry about the cut off edges of the words, but you should still be able to read them):

[youtube][/youtube]
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000