Poll for Women's Teams

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.

Which 7 of the 10 Women's Teams should we keep?

Basketball
14%
Cross Country
8%
Golf
10%
Indoor Track & Field
7%
Outdoor Track & Field
14%
Soccer
14%
Softball
14%
Swimming & Diving
3%
Tennis
1%
Volleyball
15%

Total votes: 92
Tere North

NCAA rules say we must have at least 7 Women's sports to be in D1. (with 6 men's, must have 8 women's; with 7 men's, must have 7 women's; net is 14 minimum. So, which 7 Women's sports are must keepers?
sealhall74

IMO, there should not be a distinction between indoor track and outdoor track. What is the difference? One event like the steeplechase or something? You have softball participation in both spring and fall. Why treat track any different?
Embrace the pace of the race.
Tere North

sealhall74 wrote:IMO, there should not be a distinction between indoor track and outdoor track. What is the difference? One event like the steeplechase or something? You have softball participation in both spring and fall. Why treat track any different?
I don't disagree with you, but it is how the NCAA defines them. Indoor and Outdoor Track are considered 2 different sports. I know for dashes, indoors runs a 60m vs the 100m for outdoor and the track is 200m/lap instead of 400m. We don't have much of an indoor track because of the basketball court - only 3-4 lanes, not the 6-8 required for meets so we have no indoor meets.
Western_101

Title IX might become an issue.....lots of young men on the football roster. Need to find a way to balance that on the Women's side. Not sure how that would effect women's sports.
Western_101

I think tennis as a whole in this day and age is not nearly as popular as it was 40 years ago. I think since the guys have already been cut..........
Neckfansince71

But track and field scholies are not distributed in indoor outdoor fashion. Eligibility is but not scholarship money. You can't wait to start track and field outdoors and have any success what so ever. Its all or none, either you have track and field, or you don't! ;) jc
sealhall74

From what I can tell and I might be wrong, cross country and track scholies all come from the same bundle when it comes to allocation limits. Are colleges required to make public how they divide up their scholarships (for sport S, X at full, Y at .50, Z at .25, etc.)? If not, they should be. If I were a parent or athlete, I would want to factor that in my decision to sign or not.
Embrace the pace of the race.