Press conference on Monday 1/11

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

ST_Lawson wrote:Although, now that I'm thinking about it, I'd bet what we'll see is:

1. Interim Director of Athletics -> Director of Athletics
2. Athletics reports directly to President, rather than being under Department of Student Services (this is how most schools are set up).
Nailed it....what do I win?
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
ibleedpurpleandgold

it was great to hear him say that there was no though of switching conference 3 yrs ago i thought western should look to move else where now the conference seems to be in great shape also great to see all the coaches there except fisher of course he has a lot on his plate right now.
Tere North

I think the MVC would be better for us all around, not just for football, as it would give us great in-state rivalries plus greatly decrease travel expenses. But alas, they gotta want us.
University of Northern Iowa
Bradley University
Drake University
Evansville Evansville
Illinois State Illinois State
Indiana State University
Loyola University
Missouri State University
Southern Illinois State University - Carbondale
Wichita State University
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Tere North wrote: But alas, they gotta want us.
This.

And they don't...especially the non-football schools. The non-football ones already don't like the power that football has with the football playing members. Unless the conference goes through more upheaval (it has been rumored that Wichita State has "higher" aspirations) they're not going to give any consideration to another football-playing school.
sealhall74

Tere North wrote:I think the MVC would be better for us all around, not just for football, as it would give us great in-state rivalries plus greatly decrease travel expenses. But alas, they gotta want us.
Bradley University
Drake University
Evansville Evansville
Indiana State University
Loyola University
Wichita State University
And IMO, we could recruit a higher-quality bunch of kids from local area. E.G. a recruit from Quad-City area is only a stone throw from 4 of the schools so parents and friends could easily get to those away games. I am not holding my breath but it would be nice.
Embrace the pace of the race.
meganeck

ST_Lawson wrote:
ST_Lawson wrote:Although, now that I'm thinking about it, I'd bet what we'll see is:

1. Interim Director of Athletics -> Director of Athletics
2. Athletics reports directly to President, rather than being under Department of Student Services (this is how most schools are set up).
Nailed it....what do I win?
What is the advantage of reportedly directly to the President?
ibleedpurpleandgold

sealhall74 wrote:
Tere North wrote:I think the MVC would be better for us all around, not just for football, as it would give us great in-state rivalries plus greatly decrease travel expenses. But alas, they gotta want us.
Bradley University
Drake University
Evansville Evansville
Indiana State University
Loyola University
Wichita State University
And IMO, we could recruit a higher-quality bunch of kids from local area. E.G. a recruit from Quad-City area is only a stone throw from 4 of the schools so parents and friends could easily get to those away games. I am not holding my breath but it would be nice.
Those schools kill us when it comes to facilities however i think the horizon league would make more sense we could compete in that league the only school we would compete with is bradley.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

meganeck wrote:What is the advantage of reportedly directly to the President?
Less "red tape" to cut through, fewer "agendas" in play. In the past, anything that Athletics wanted to do that required higher approval would have to be filtered through what the VP of Student Services wanted. If that person had other ideas for how they wanted Athletics to do things, then they could kill it before it'd get anywhere.

I don't really know too much about how it would affect the day-to-day operations of Athletics (if at all), but I do know that most of the successful FCS programs out there (all of the ones that I checked...which was about 10 of the top programs) are structured this way. So there's gotta be something good about it.
Tere North

sealhall74 wrote: And IMO, we could recruit a higher-quality bunch of kids from local area. E.G. a recruit from Quad-City area is only a stone throw from 4 of the schools so parents and friends could easily get to those away games. I am not holding my breath but it would be nice.
Plus, Women's Basketball tourney is set for the iWireless Center in QC for the next few years. Men's tourney is in St. Louis,
wiu712

ST_Lawson wrote:It has been rumored that Wichita State has "higher" aspirations.
If Wichita State were to leave the Missouri Valley, a possible non-football replacement would be SIU-Edwardsville.