What I Would Keep

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
Tere North

Given the budget crunch, that even when a state budget finally passes, isn't going away anytime soon, I thought about which sports should be kept to meet the NCAA D1 minimum of either 7 men's and 7 women's or 6 men's and 8 women's. Give the Gender Equity concerns with having Football that far outnumbers all but perhaps Track & Field in terms of participants, and certainly involves far more scholarship $ than Track, I opted to go for 6 & 8. But, rather than ceding the scholarship money, I'd transfer it to the sports that don't have the full scholarship allowances (that would be all but FB, MBkB, WBkB) to bring them greater parity.

So here goes

Men's Teams to Keep
  • Football
    Baseball
    Basketball
    Soccer
    Golf
    Outdoor Track & Field
Men's Teams to Discontinue
  • Indoor Track & Field - we don't have the facilities for indoor T&F, so while the runners may like to compete then, it doesn't justify a sport when all meets must be away and we can barely practice
    XCountry - can largely be accomplished by the longer Track distances
    Swimming & Diving - tried once before because of facilities, now is time
    Tennis - already been eliminated, whether for budget, gender equity or both
Women's Teams to Keep
  • Basketball
    Soccer
    Softball
    Volleyball
    Golf
    Outdoor Track & Field
    Tennis
    XCountry
Women's Teams to Discontinue
  • Indoor Track & Field - we don't have the facilities for indoor T&F, so while the runners may like to compete then, it doesn't justify a sport when all meets must be away and we can barely practice
If you went with 7 & 7 - I'd keep tennis for both and not pick up XC for the women
leatherface

I would vote 7-7.

Men- Football,X-Country,Swim and Dive, Baseball,Basketball, Soccer and Outdoor track and Field
Women- Basketball,Soccer,Softball, Volleyball,Outdoor Track and Field,X-Country and Swim and Dive.
Tere North

leatherface wrote:I would vote 7-7.

Men- Football,X-Country,Swim and Dive, Baseball,Basketball, Soccer and Outdoor track and Field
Women- Basketball,Soccer,Softball, Volleyball,Outdoor Track and Field,X-Country and Swim and Dive.
What would you do if it had to be 6-8 to keep Title IX happy because of football?
leatherface

If forced to go 6-8-which I don't agree with. (No, I'm not interested in a Title 9 discussion). I feel if men have seven, six whatever, the women should offer same number of programs.

If forced- I would drop X-Country from men, and add tennis for women.
Tere North

leatherface wrote:If forced to go 6-8-which I don't agree with. (No, I'm not interested in a Title 9 discussion). I feel if men have seven, six whatever, the women should offer same number of programs.

If forced- I would drop X-Country from men, and add tennis for women.
I don't disagree with you on preferring the same # for each, even with FB :D
ibleedpurpleandgold

Tere North wrote:Given the budget crunch, that even when a state budget finally passes, isn't going away anytime soon, I thought about which sports should be kept to meet the NCAA D1 minimum of either 7 men's and 7 women's or 6 men's and 8 women's. Give the Gender Equity concerns with having Football that far outnumbers all but perhaps Track & Field in terms of participants, and certainly involves far more scholarship $ than Track, I opted to go for 6 & 8. But, rather than ceding the scholarship money, I'd transfer it to the sports that don't have the full scholarship allowances (that would be all but FB, MBkB, WBkB) to bring them greater parity.

So here goes

Men's Teams to Keep
  • Football
    Baseball
    Basketball
    Soccer
    Golf
    Outdoor Track & Field
Men's Teams to Discontinue
    XCountry - can largely be accomplished by the longer Track distances
    Tennis - already been eliminated, whether for budget, gender equity or both
Women's Teams to Keep
  • Basketball
    Soccer
    Softball
    Volleyball
    Golf
    Outdoor Track & Field
    Tennis
    XCountry
Women's Teams to Discontinue
If you went with 7 & 7 - I'd keep tennis for both and not pick up XC for the women
I agree with your picks at the 7 and 7 mainly cause your paying an additional coach with the 6-8 cause with the 7-7 you could just have 1 coach for tennis.