Genie Bottle but only ONE wish

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
sealhall74

Hypothetical: AD Matt Tanney finds a magic genie bottle, but it only allows ONE wish to be granted. What do you think he should wish for? Sorry, he can't wish for more wishes or a bottomless resource of dollars. I am kicking myself now for not asking him this when I had his ear in Denver last week. ;)
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

I think most of the ones I could think of involve large amounts of money, which I suppose is excluded in your "bottomless resource of dollars" stipulation.
Thinks like a very friendly and generous alumni to become obscenely successful in business, a very large company that really likes to support local higher education moving their headquarters/manufacturing facility to Macomb, me winning that last huge lottery payout thing, etc.

Personally, since I'm more a fan of football than anything else, I think wishing for football to become more successful than North Dakota State would do it. Winning the majority of games and multiple national championships, getting ESPN to show up on campus for Game Day (twice), beating FBS teams regularly....that would help increase attendance, visibility for the school, and likely increase funding from donations.

Then again, at this point, maybe just wishing for a state budget to be passed that also happens to increase funding levels for the state universities to their high point is what we need.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Tere North

sealhall74 wrote:Hypothetical: AD Matt Tanney finds a magic genie bottle, but it only allows ONE wish to be granted. What do you think he should wish for? Sorry, he can't wish for more wishes or a bottomless resource of dollars. I am kicking myself now for not asking him this when I had his ear in Denver last week. ;)
I have to go with a 2-part wish because if WIU itself isn't successful, athletics can't flourish.
Part 1 - WIU identifies its niche and focuses its efforts in that direction to excel at what it does
Part 2 - The campus and extended community supports WIU athletics. Unfortunately, athletics has relatively few supporters, either from the Macomb area community or from the campus community, this is my big genie wish, that WIU athletics could become a major player in the hearts and minds of community, translating into filled stands, cross-community spirit, and increased financial support.
wiu712

#1 wish has to be for a new Governor for Illinois.

Tonight's NBC Nightly News at 5:30PM had a featured story about how the lack of a state budget is impacting Chicago State University.
http://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/vid ... 7251267602

The stuff going on now in Springfield is irresponsible - plain and simple.
Tere North

wiu712 wrote:#1 wish has to be for a new Governor for Illinois.

Tonight's NBC Nightly News at 5:30PM had a featured story about how the lack of a state budget is impacting Chicago State University.
http://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/vid ... 7251267602

The stuff going on now in Springfield is irresponsible - plain and simple.
Yet, Madigan is sitting on a bill to fund higher ed at a 20% reduction. He gets to sit on anything he does want to hold a vote on. That's what I consider worse that the governor.
rocki

Amen to that, Tere.
meganeck

Agree, At this point I would say any funding is better that nothing. So I would take a 20% reduction in a heartbeat.
Neckfansince71

Tere North wrote:
sealhall74 wrote:Hypothetical: AD Matt Tanney finds a magic genie bottle, but it only allows ONE wish to be granted. What do you think he should wish for? Sorry, he can't wish for more wishes or a bottomless resource of dollars. I am kicking myself now for not asking him this when I had his ear in Denver last week. ;)
I have to go with a 2-part wish because if WIU itself isn't successful, athletics can't flourish.
Part 1 - WIU identifies its niche and focuses its efforts in that direction to excel at what it does
Part 2 - The campus and extended community supports WIU athletics. Unfortunately, athletics has relatively few supporters, either from the Macomb area community or from the campus community, this is my big genie wish, that WIU athletics could become a major player in the hearts and minds of community, translating into filled stands, cross-community spirit, and increased financial support.
Tera, I totally agree with both 1 and 2!!!! Getting people back interested in WIU Athletics would go a long way in meeting the athletic departments current needs. Coach Fisher seems to be reaching out to a whole lot of people including football alumni, former staff, and community members. I think we have a head coach that is going to go that extra mile to get enthusiasm for his program going. If I am Coach Fisher, I make sure that I have a meet the Coach and team day at Walmart in the very near future!!!! ;) jc
LeatherCy

My #1 wish would be for Jackie Thomas to get out of Macomb ASAP!!
wiu712

Tere North wrote:Athletics has relatively few supporters, either from the Macomb area community or from the campus community.
Former A.D. Tim Van Alstine alienated a lot of people in the Macomb community. It will take time to repair that damage.