Video scoreboard

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
Neckfansince71

Funny thing about scoreboard/video boards, if you don't have one, you want one, but for me once you have one, keeping track of them can be distracting. Obviously they provide the pallet for sponsors and special interest video, but once the game starts, I would rather watch the "real" thing instead of the "video" thing. I know that the ISU video board is larger but I really ignored it pretty much the whole playoff game! In reality a video board IMO is just sprinkles on the icing. Sure, it looks great for recruits but...... The next time you are at Hanson, walk down to the scoreboard just for a close up view. It is huge! ;) jc
Western_101

Thanks Themanwithmanyhats,

Looks like you have some good information on what all was encompassed in the price tag. I'm sure those not involved myself included didn't fully appreciate how the money was appropriated.

More has been done in the last few years as far as upgrades than had been done in a long time. I do like the video boards in Western Hall, I do like the field turf, I do like the new seats in Western Hall. Honestly the campus has never looked better. The old scoreboard was a steaming P.O.S. so I am thankful that it was demolished. I am not a fan of the portable scoreboard in the Hanson Field configuration, but, that is just one insignificant persons opinion :)

NFS71, the Video board does look huge up close.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

RedNeck wrote:NFS71, the Video board does look huge up close.
I think that's actually the biggest issue...not so much the size (would I prefer bigger...sure), but how far back it has to sit. I love Hanson Field, don't get me wrong, but sometimes having the track there means that things have to be much more "spread out" than in a football-specific stadium. For example...

Distance from our scoreboard to the closest goal line: ~170 ft
Distance from Illinois State's scoreboard to the closest goal line: ~100 ft

So, yes, theirs is bigger, but it's also ~70 feet closer to the fans, which can also make a huge difference. If we were able to move the scoreboard to as far away as Illinois State has theirs (in relation to the field, it would sit approximately 15 feet inside lane 1 (the inside line) of the track and would look significantly larger to the fans in the stands. Obviously we can't do that, since they do track stuff there (I think high jump is usually located in that area), but it does make a difference.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

Someday, maybe sooner than we think, people will be walking in to Hanson Field carrying a set of "goggles". Those goggles will automatically connect to your cell phone which will run an app which receives the same audio and video signals being sent to the stadium video board which is maybe too small or maybe too far away to see clearly from your seat. But wait, there is more. Those goggles will also connect to ALL cameras located in the stadium, not just the one currently feeding the big board so you can in effect pan around the stadium (want to see if the popcorn in the concession stand is fresh and the hot dogs are steaming, no problem). But the real icing on the cake is this. When our Leathernecks score that big touchdown to send them on their way to Frisco, everyone can slap on those goggles and it will be as if we are right there in the endzone celebrating with all of the players and coaches. Until then, lets pick up some Powerball tickets (jackpot is $361M) and keep our fingers crossed we can do something about the west side and a few other things without waiting for the State to do what it should be doing better. Almost enough said. Have to roll out the mat for a little pilates and then I have to sit down and start designing that "Goggle App". Do I have any venture capitalists in the crowd?

Update: Just did some googling to see if anyone has already built a "Goggle App". Not easy to do on Google. Search for "goggle" and it comes back with almost all Google stuff. :roll:
Last edited by sealhall74 on Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Embrace the pace of the race.
Necks2003

If we can get it connected to Pokemon Go, I am in!
WIU0812

Have to remember that most schools don't just use the football video board for football they host movie nights and other such events for the towns & students and use it to get into all sorts of things. Not a big deal it is nice having a video board finally and I agree with ST that one of the bigger issues is the distance from the field. I believe EIU put theirs in between track and goal post which makes it much closer, but they use that area for football training and it is on the south side so would of required all new wiring and what not. Still all in all it is a much smaller board and seems like we paid more than most schools because you know that ISU still had to do some new electrical and removal of all their old video boards and I know they even had to install some new supports which means it would most likely of cost more on their removals and install than ours did.