Updates to faculty layoff plan and other stuff

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote:Alright, let's be totally honest here. Who got high at that Styx concert in Western Hall back in 1973?
Honestly....not I :lol:
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Western_101

Styx, huh, didn't know that Seal.

I didn't know Styx played at Western, makes me wonder what big names have been to Western Hall?
wiu712

RedNeck wrote:I didn't know Styx played at Western, makes me wonder what big names have been to Western Hall?
The first show that I saw at Western Hall was Simon & Garfunkel. The tickets were $3 for the main floor and $2 for the balcony.

I also remember seeing Chicago, although I think they were called Chicago Transit Authority at that time.

Also saw Neil Diamond as well as Peter, Paul, and Mary. I remember seeing a folk group--I am thinking that it was The Kingston Trio.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

RedNeck wrote:Styx, huh, didn't know that Seal.

I didn't know Styx played at Western, makes me wonder what big names have been to Western Hall?
Other big names that I've seen (most were actually part of the BCA series): Ray Charles, Smothers Brothers, Penn and Teller, Chuck Berry, Sinbad (the first time, back when he was hugely popular, not the more recent time), and I'm sure a few more I'm not remembering.
I didn't see them, but I also know that while I was at Western, we had: Adam Sandler and Garbage
And it's not really my style, but more recently we had T-Pain do a show here.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

NIU is planning on more cuts and is looking to boost enrollment.

From the NIU President Doug Baker:

Among the topics I addressed at our university town hall meeting last week was enrollment; specifically, what we are doing to stem the reduction of our student population and put us back on a growth trajectory after a 5.5 percent decline this fall. I noted that while some of the issues facing us involve the uncertainty parents and students feel about the future of higher education in the State of Illinois, there are other things that are in our control.

One is ensuring that we are providing our students with unparalleled academic and engaged learning opportunities. Provost Lisa Freeman spoke directly to that, describing our NIU Plus approach to general education, a nationally recognized model that we believe will be very compelling to prospective traditional freshman recruits. We are already working aggressively to raise visibility of NIU Plus with current students, as well as integrating it into conversations our recruiters have at high schools across the state.

So, our Academic Affairs people have provided us with a great program to attract new freshmen. Meanwhile, we know we need to intensify our efforts, not only with our traditional base of freshman students, but with other categories of students, including transfer students, non-traditional students and international students. For each of these segments, we have task forces working on plans to help us get sharper, more focused and more aggressive in our recruitment effort.

Among the things we are already doing is developing ways to more efficiently and effectively link financial aid to student need; intensifying our existing partnerships with community colleges with plans to be on-site at up to six of these colleges by the end of the year; reaching out to the business community to develop relationships that could lead to additional adult learners; and adopting a more unified approach to branding and advertising to drive awareness and interest in NIU.

While we are confident that our effort to expand enrollment will bear fruit, that may take time. And meanwhile, we continue to face an uncertain financial picture in the State of Illinois. As a result, while we’ve cut $45 million out of our operating expenses in three years, we see a need to cut another $20 million during this fiscal year and increase focus on revenue-generating opportunities.

That said, I have asked the Senior Cabinet to provide me with recommended scenarios for cutting five and 10 percent of Division operating budgets to get us to a goal of $20 million. These are to be strategic, long-term cuts designed to ensure our core mission is strong and that the university is financially sustainable. Reductions will not happen across the board, but rather will be tailored to the unique goals and objectives of each unit. I am working with CFO Al Phillips to review the Division recommendations, which will lead to a review by the Executive Budget Committee. We expect to have an action plan ready to roll out in the next six to eight weeks, and we will communicate this plan promptly when it is finalized.

In the coming weeks we’ll keep you informed with status updates. We will also be working to educate the university and community on NIU’s revised Freedom of Expression policy which takes effect this Saturday. The new policy and related procedures are the result of many months of collaboration throughout our university community with the intention and commitment of ensuring that all students, faculty and staff have the broad latitude to speak, write, listen, challenge and learn.
wiu712

State universities still waiting for a full state budget.

From Tri-States Public Radio WIUM-FM:
http://tspr.org/post/universities-other ... &utm_term=
wiu712

University of Illinois to push for full state funding.

From the Associated Press:

The University of Illinois is planning to try again for full state funding in fiscal 2018, which it hasn't seen since 2015.

The university is also focusing on its efforts for a multiyear budget arrangement with Illinois, The News-Gazette reported. It plans to announce proposed legislation next week that would provide five years of guaranteed funding in exchange of hitting certain educational benchmarks.

Those benchmarks include limiting tuition increases to the rate of inflation, providing adequate financial aid or achieving certain graduation rates. In return, the university would receive guaranteed funding for five years, regulatory relief and procurement reform, which faculty members have requested to accelerate the process of buying research equipment and other materials.

University president Tim Killeen said during his annual meeting with faculty Monday that the institution has lost over $750 million in state funding in the last two years.

"That's three-quarters of a billion dollars. That's a lot," Killeen said. "We are under huge stress, and Rome is burning around us. These are not normal times."

University officials are scheduled to roll out the proposed new contract with the state at its board of trustees' meeting Nov. 10.

"Imagine what we could do if we had that kind of predictable environment," Killeen said.

The plan will be to report the university's progress on the educational benchmarks each year, with information posted to the university's website so it can be checked by legislators.

As of now the university has prepared a fiscal 2018 general state funding request which totals to $662.1 million, which is equal to its last full year of funding in 2015.
wiu712

The employee count at the University of Illinois has dropped by more than 500 in the last 18 months, a response to the state’s fiscal problems, officials said Wednesday.

President Tim Killeen released what he called an “interim report” on budget-cutting efforts, showing that 484 non-instructional staff positions have been cut since February 2015, a 3 percent drop.

The university said in a news release Wednesday that most of the cuts were made through attrition as people left jobs and that 202 of the positions were in the university system’s central administration.
wiu712

Lawmakers file bill that would lock in University of Illinois funding.

From the Associated Press:

Eight state lawmakers have filed legislation that would guarantee the University of Illinois multi-year funding in exchange for limits on tuition increases and other benchmarks.

The Democrats and Republicans filed the bill Thursday as university trustees met in Chicago and passed a resolution supporting it.

Democratic state Sen. Bill Cunningham said the bill would help ensure the state is getting "real results" from the three-campus university system: UIUC, UIS, and UIC.

University President Timothy Killeen said the legislation would eliminate annual budget uncertainty. Killeen has pushed the plan in part as a response to the state-budget crisis.

The bill would lock in appropriations for the university for five years starting with $662 million in 2018 and changing based only on inflation.

The university would make only inflation-based increases in tuition for in-state undergraduates.

The General Assembly returns next week for the two week fall Veto Session.

Money from the 6-month stopgap budget runs out on January 2, 2017.
leatherface

So, is this bill only for the University of Illinois system, or does it include all state supported schools? Likely just the U of I system. The advantage of influence and politics. Do some folks still question the advantage of being a part of the U of I umbrella?