Updates to faculty layoff plan and other stuff

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
wiu712

Will Illinois Face Another Budget Impasse?

From Tri-States Public Radio WIUM-FM:
http://tspr.org/post/will-illinois-face ... et-impasse
Neckfansince71

Soooooo, not as far as the Reps and Senators interviewed are concerned but that can always change as we know! ;) jc
leatherface

I have stayed away since January, for a number of reasons. I felt I had been too snarky to some folks, had better things to do than talk on a sports message board among other reasons.
This vote to strike by the faculty is the last straw. In this climate of dramatic enrollment drop, the state losing students to other states, and the funding issues in Illinois their decision to strike is it. I'm done with Western- my wife too,-- she's also an alum. We went to another grad schol, and our children have degrees from other schools. The faculty have put themselves above the school and students-IMHO. Stiil hoping for the best for WIU, but my interest and support is gone.
rocki

"This vote to strike by the faculty is the last straw. In this climate of dramatic enrollment drop, the state losing students to other states, and the funding issues in Illinois their decision to strike is it."

I'm afraid I have to agree with this, as well as your statement that "the faculty is putting itself above the students."

I've not decided to stop supporting Western (yet), as I don't feel that the students who have chosen to go here should be penalized for what I consider detrimental behavior by the faculty.

See you around, Leatherface - you'll be missed here.
wiu712

Will the other university employees (including Sodexo and Go West) honor the UPI's strike ???

You have to wonder why the Western BOT allowed things to reach this point.

UPI authorizes strike: Mediation to continue through cooling period.
From today's Western Courier:
https://westerncourier.com/41120/news/u ... ng-period/
wiu712

WIU students give support to professors awaiting new contract.

From WHBF-TV, Rock Island:
http://www.ourquadcities.com/news/wiu-s ... 1130528797
wiu712

Looks like the fallout from the "No Confidence" vote and the Strike Authorization vote has begun.

Our family has many school teachers and school administrators. Most are Western grads.

They are reporting that their high school guidance counselors have been advising their caseload about the labor unrest going on now at Western. That will result in some of those high school seniors opting to go somewhere else. It will take some time to recover from this self-inflicted wound.

For the 2018 Spring semester, there are 6,832 undergraduates and 1,767 grad students. Total = 8,599.

There is a large senior class graduating this spring (2,695). That class will be replaced this fall by a smaller incoming freshman class. There were 1,206 in the 2017 fall freshman class. That net loss will put us closer to the 6,000 enrollment number that President Goldfarb envisioned.
Western_101

What conceivable reason would any high school student have to want to chose Western over any other University? I can't imagine having a college age child whereby with any conscious I would advise him/her to go to Western.

Honestly Western really could close and in a few years time it would be completely forgotten. As if it never existed at all. It will just add to the lore of Forgottonia.
rocki

RedNeck wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:09 am What conceivable reason would any high school student have to want to chose Western over any other University? I can't imagine having a college age child whereby with any conscious I would advise him/her to go to Western.

Honestly Western really could close and in a few years time it would be completely forgotten. As if it never existed at all. It will just add to the lore of Forgottonia.
Be careful what you "wish" for. I could honestly see this happening.
vatusay

The BOT should be ashamed keeping the current “leadership” in place when there has been a complete and total lack of leadership and vision through any of this.

I think it’s more probable that WIU completely shuts down or moves to the quad cities before it gets back to the success pre Dr. Jack Thomas.

It will be a sad day when Macomb becomes a ghost town and virtually every home will sit empty if people are lucky enough to sell them. However, we will all know who to thank.
#ALLIN #YOLO