Western Buys More Houses

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
Tere North

Report of June 2016 real estate transactions shows WIU bought 3 more houses, this time on N. Ward St. Any info on for what?

304 N. Ward St., Macomb, $105,000, Buffalo Corporation, an Illinois Corporation to Western Illinois University Foundation, an Illinois Not-for-Profit Corporation.
318 & 314 N. Ward St., Macomb, $140,000, Western Investments, and Illinois Corporation to Western Illinois University Foundation, an Illinois Not-for-Profit Corporation.
vatusay

I saw that fraternity house on the corner of ward and Calhoun got torn down
#ALLIN #YOLO
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Yes, all the houses along that side of Ward on that block have been torn down. So, behind the alumni house is all green space currently all the way to the end of the block.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
leatherneckcountry

i assume they will put parking there so that if you want to go to the alumni house you don't have to walk a mile that's what they did on the other side of ward.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

leatherneckcountry wrote:i assume they will put parking there so that if you want to go to the alumni house you don't have to walk a mile that's what they did on the other side of ward.
That would be helpful. Probably a combination of green space and parking. It would make it much easier to host events at the alumni house and for events where there'd be a lot of people in the area, like the Homecoming parade.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Tere North

ST_Lawson wrote:
leatherneckcountry wrote:i assume they will put parking there so that if you want to go to the alumni house you don't have to walk a mile that's what they did on the other side of ward.
That would be helpful. Probably a combination of green space and parking. It would make it much easier to host events at the alumni house and for events where there'd be a lot of people in the area, like the Homecoming parade.

$1/4-mil for green space for Alumni events doesn't sit too well with me in these economic times. There's tons of green space in front of Sherman, plus the > $1/4-mil already spent within the last year for properties along W Adams.
leatherneckcountry

Tere North wrote:
ST_Lawson wrote:

$1/4-mil for green space for Alumni events doesn't sit too well with me in these economic times. There's tons of green space in front of Sherman, plus the > $1/4-mil already spent within the last year for properties along W Adams.
Well I don't think the administration has to answer to you.
Purple Grandma

It also appears that it was foundation funds, so not subject to rules required for other types.
Tere North

leatherneckcountry wrote:Well I don't think the administration has to answer to you.
I was purely expressing my opinion. You, of course, are likewise entitled to yours.
Neckfansince71

The success of any organization can be measured by its ability to continue to evolve, expand and move forward no matter what. There is some property just off the corner of University and Route 67 which I would love the university to acquire sometime in the near future! Tere, I understand where you are coming from but I think it is a good move. Just wish they had not torn Grote Hall down many years ago. It would have been a perfect place for a "foundation office!" ;) jc