Do we have a hobby/craft shop; (e.g. woodworking))

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
sealhall74

Just wondering. I know things like industrial arts and home econonomics seem to be a thing of the past, but I was wondering if we have anything in the way of a woodworking or craft shop for students.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote:Just wondering. I know things like industrial arts and home econonomics seem to be a thing of the past, but I was wondering if we have anything in the way of a woodworking or craft shop for students.
Not really as far as I know. There's some metalworking/smithing and possibly some sculpture involving wood materials in the art department, but I think you're probably thinking of something a bit more "functional" than purely "aesthetic".

I would guess that most people who would be interested in that sort of thing would either have gone into the Engineering Technology (http://www.wiu.edu/academics/majors/bus ... nology.php) or Construction Management (http://www.wiu.edu/academics/majors/bus ... gement.php) routes, or gone the trade school or community college routes. Our local CC (Spoon River College) has a couple of "hands-on" type programs, but nothing specifically for woodworking type stuff.

If someone was looking into something like that as a career, I'd imagine that a basic education...maybe something through a trade school/community college, plus an apprenticeship in the desired career.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

I think woodworking equipment would be an ideal bequest as long as it is in good working condition and the university has a place to use it. Lots of people engage in woodworking simply because it is a really good hobby and not because they plan to make a career out of it. Really creative administrators can find ways to tie it into their curriculum (math, physics, etc.)
Embrace the pace of the race.