More Shameful Behavior

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
huskie

The perfect punishment would be to force all 3 kids to go to school here so we could collect a years worth of tuition from them.
sealhall74

On the subject of letters, what are the odds that all three would have first names that start with "JAC"?
Embrace the pace of the race.
DoubleNeck

News story from WGEM with photos of the "suspects":

http://www.wgem.com/story/32770367/2016 ... -wiu-theft
vatusay

Im curious how the value of the letters triple after the arrests?
#ALLIN #YOLO
Neckfansince71

Just three "knuckle heads!" Probably down visiting someones girl friend or high school buddy! One of those lapses in judgement in my opinion. Unfortunately this is a "state" offense! ;) jc
sealhall74

Any lawyers on board here? How do the Illinois laws work? If three guys steal something worth X dollars, when it comes to determination of seriousness of offense (misdemeanor, felony class, potential jail time and fine, etc.), do you divide X by 3?
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote:Any lawyers on board here? How do the Illinois laws work? If three guys steal something worth X dollars, when it comes to determination of seriousness of offense (misdemeanor, felony class, potential jail time and fine, etc.), do you divide X by 3?
I'm not a lawyer (obviously), but I believe that from what I've heard in the past, all three would be charged via the full "value" of the item(s) stolen.

If they go with "Theft", then anything between $300 and $10,000 is a Class 3 Felony (which carries a possible sentence of up to 5 years in a state penitentiary and/or a fine of up to $25,000).
If they go with "Criminal Damage of Property", then damage between $301 and $10,000 is a Class 4 Felony (which carries a possible sentence of up to 3 years in a state penitentiary and/or a fine of up to $25,000).

Those are maximum sentences, so it probably depends on prior convictions and stuff.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote:
sealhall74 wrote:Any lawyers on board here? How do the Illinois laws work? If three guys steal something worth X dollars, when it comes to determination of seriousness of offense (misdemeanor, felony class, potential jail time and fine, etc.), do you divide X by 3?
I'm not a lawyer (obviously), but I believe that from what I've heard in the past, all three would be charged via the full "value" of the item(s) stolen.

If they go with "Theft", then anything between $300 and $10,000 is a Class 3 Felony (which carries a possible sentence of up to 5 years in a state penitentiary and/or a fine of up to $25,000).
If they go with "Criminal Damage of Property", then damage between $301 and $10,000 is a Class 4 Felony (which carries a possible sentence of up to 3 years in a state penitentiary and/or a fine of up to $25,000).

Those are maximum sentences, so it probably depends on prior convictions and stuff.
Back in the"good ole days", this kind of offense would give a kid an option to "join the navy and see the world" instead of criminal record, assuming he was a relative newbie in the world of crime.
wiu712

OPS solves “Western _ _ _inois Universi_y” puzzle.

From today's Western Courier:
http://westerncourier.com/35988/news/op ... _y-puzzle/
wiu712

Western loses another letter ‘W’ stolen from frequently vandalized sign.

From today's Western Courier:
http://westerncourier.com/36547/news/_e ... ized-sign/