More Shameful Behavior

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
wiu712

The Western Illinois University Office of Public Safety (OPS) is seeking the community's assistance in recovering letters that were stolen sometime overnight (Aug. 9) from the Western Illinois University grand entrance sign at Lafayette Street and University Drive.

The letters (the "I-l-l" in Illinois and the "t" in University) are valued at $1,500.

Information about this crime can be reported to the Office of Public Safety at (309) 298-1949 or to the Macomb Area Crime Stoppers at (309) 836-3222.

Anonymous tips can also be submitted online at https://www.tipsubmit.com/WebTips.aspx?AgencyID=686 or by texting CRIMESTOP and the tip to CRIMES (274637).

Crime Stoppers will pay up to $1,000 for information leading to an arrest.
Neckfansince71

Sounds like a high school prank this time! Somebody is bound to brag about it! Let justice be done!!!! ;) jc
sealhall74

College prank all the way. It seems to be a fairly common occurrence on campuses these days. In fact, some like Georgia Tech even celebrate it with the letters always being returned on Homecoming. For whatever reason, Ts do seem to be popular.

http://marker.to/6dz6IA

If it can be carried away, expect it to disappear sooner or later.
Embrace the pace of the race.
Western_101

That grand entrance took a lot of work and a lot of money. If in fact it was a student/students of WIU that did this I am baffled.

I was proud of my school. I paid for my college myself. It would never enter my mind to deface the most Beautiful first impression people have of the University when they enter town.

What was the thought process? I'm drunk, what can I do to make the University signage look like a vandalized piece of garbage?
sealhall74

Who knows what drives this behavior? LOYOLA University down in New Orleans had their OYOL letters ripped off during the Mardi Gras celebration. The letters usually mean something to the vandals. In this case, it meant "You Only Live Once". The ILLI and T and a few other well chosen letters could very well be donning the walls of some fraternity in Charleston or Carbondale.
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

News story about the stolen letters as seen on WGEM News:
http://www.wgem.com/story/32732293/2016 ... n-entrance
wiu712

Grand Entryway Sign Now Reads "WESTERN NOIS UNIVERSI Y".
From Tri-States Public Radio WIUM-FM:
http://tspr.org/post/grand-entryway-sig ... =#stream/0
wiu712

Arrests Made in Theft of Letters!

From University Relations:

Three non-students have been arrested in connection with the theft of four letters that were stolen sometime overnight Aug. 9 from the Western Illinois University grand entrance sign at Lafayette Street and University Drive.
 The letters have not been recovered.

According to OPS Director Scott Harris, the department conducted an investigation based on tips received regarding the thefts. The four letters are valued at approximately $3,300 (original estimate was placed at $1,500).

Jacob E. Trotter, 20, of Machesney Park, Jacob C. Robbins, 20, of Machesney Park, and Jackson McNamara, 21, of Rockford, were arrested Friday, Aug. 12 on a McDonough County warrant by Winnebago County law enforcement officers for theft of government property and criminal damage of government property [these arrests will be included in the Aug. 17 OPS Report].

"This was a group effort among OPS, the Macomb Police Department, the McDonough County Sheriff's Department and Macomb Area Crimestoppers. A Crimestoppers tip and further investigation led to the arrest of the suspects," Harris said. "We appreciate the support we get from our community and that an individual stepped forward with information. I'd like to commend the work of the officers at the Office of Public Safety for their work in solving this crime quickly." 

Individuals with knowledge of the whereabouts of the letters should contact the Office of Public Safety or the Macomb Area Crime Stoppers at (309) 836-3222. Anonymous tips can also be submitted online at https://www.tipsubmit.com/WebTips.aspx?AgencyID=686 or by texting CRIMESTOP and the tip to CRIMES (274637).

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

The thing I don't get is, why are three ~20-year-olds from the Rockford area (Machesney Park is a Rockford suburb) hanging around stealing letters off a sign? Were they just driving through and decided to do it? Were they down visiting friends? Just kinda weird that they'd be around here in the first place.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000