Hanson Field - The New West Side

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
WIU0812

I am not sure what is more import since the football building would bring in better players and in turn put a better team on field which then would eventually bring butts to the seats. It would also would alleviate a lot of space in Western Hall to be used to advance other sports. On the other hand I completely agree that the West Stands are terrible and falling apart. It would be a disaster if something did happen and someone sued. Also, the new stands could also be a huge focal point to walk past with new students even non-athletes. I am still shocked that even in the poor situation Western has been in regarding enrollment that little to no fundraising efforts or news has been released in 3 years after renderings were made public. I am less upset about the change from west stands to a football building and more upset that ideas keep being talked about, but no action to raise funds seems to be happening. I believe it was first mentioned that fundraising for the west stands would likely be a 3 or 4 year process, but we are on year 3 after that discussion and still haven't heard much in way of a campaign for funds. Perhaps there is more going on behind the scenes, but seems like we would have heard something.
leatherneckcountry

We have to remember that there have been lots of changes since this was brought up. A current president search, a new board, a new coach and an AD that’s bringing a nice check hasn’t seemed to do anything since taking over but she’s cheaper than any other option.
WIU0812

Very true there has been a large number of changes throughout pretty much the entire university. Would be nice to see them do a separate athletic master plan and take input same as they did the previous university master plan. I know I have seen a athletics facility specific master plan for many other colleges and it would help navigate during changes and keep things on schedule.
wiu712

Addressing the Life Safety issues with the west-side stands needs to be the top priority.
meganeck

Maybe I missed it but I thought there was supposed to be a press conference for the new AD. Has she made any kind of statements or any interviews as to what her visions are for WIU Athletics.

Also I agree their needs to be some sort of public announcement about fundraising for the football "complex" upgrade. I assuming there hasn't been because of the current funding situation at WIU and how it would probably look bad. I agree the look might be bad but the facilities decline isn't a good look either and like Tere said a lawsuit wouldn't be good either.
WIU0812

Agreed, I would have to think fixing what we currently have would take priority, but I would settle for any progress
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

I literally have no knowledge if this is true and I haven't heard anything from anyone regarding this, but I had a thought the other day regarding football building and/or stadium improvements...

Something you often see at universities is wealthy alumni getting more involved in things...getting honorary degrees...getting special recognition...getting named grand marshal of parades, etc. when they are making a substantial donation to the university. Well, this year's Homecoming Grand Marshall is one of the most well-known (for better or for worse) and financially successful alumni that we have, at least in the business arena...Robert Nardelli: http://www.wiu.edu/news/newsrelease.php ... e_id=16644
Nardelli also happens to have been a former captain on the football team, playing from '68-'70.

So, as I said, I don't have any inside knowledge of anything, but I wonder if we might see substantial movement on one of these projects in the near future?

A guy can hope, right?
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Necks2003

ST_Lawson wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:45 pm I literally have no knowledge if this is true and I haven't heard anything from anyone regarding this, but I had a thought the other day regarding football building and/or stadium improvements...

Something you often see at universities is wealthy alumni getting more involved in things...getting honorary degrees...getting special recognition...getting named grand marshal of parades, etc. when they are making a substantial donation to the university. Well, this year's Homecoming Grand Marshall is one of the most well-known (for better or for worse) and financially successful alumni that we have, at least in the business arena...Robert Nardelli: http://www.wiu.edu/news/newsrelease.php ... e_id=16644
Nardelli also happens to have been a former captain on the football team, playing from '68-'70.

So, as I said, I don't have any inside knowledge of anything, but I wonder if we might see substantial movement on one of these projects in the near future?

A guy can hope, right?

If nothing else...at least it gets him on campus to see how run down the West side currently is.
WIU0812

Would be good time to announce a new project while everyone is there and if you did have any major donors it would get them some real recognition with the crowds in town homecoming weekend.
WIU0812

Anyone ever know what happened with this? Did they ever start fundraising or looking for private funding?