Hanson Field - The New West Side

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
GV Dad

Tere North wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:43 am
RedNeck wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:11 am Pancakes and sausage will not entice college kids to come to Q lot on a Saturday.
OK, if PJamma Zone won't work, what will? FYI, my alma mater still has its PJamaRama associated with Homecoming and it remains a big draw.
I love that name... PJamaRama! At this point, let's try anything. No bad ideas, just good ideas that maybe didn't work as hoped.
GV Dad

RedNeck wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:23 am
Tere North wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:43 am
RedNeck wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:11 am Pancakes and sausage will not entice college kids to come to Q lot on a Saturday.
OK, if PJamma Zone won't work, what will? FYI, my alma mater still has its PJamaRama associated with Homecoming and it remains a big draw.
Well, whatever your alma mater is it sounds like they got something positive going. So at least you have that the fall back on.

I want to remain positive, but there was a part of my life that was magical when you're kinda an adult but not really and I lived in this fantasy land called college in the hinterlands of Western Illinois. Watching what is happening to Western is like watching a friend fade away which is just sad. Also a part of me seems to feel less than whole too. It's weird.

Didn't mean to dis yer pancakes and sausage, my wife makes it every Sunday and I could take it or leave it (usually the latter).
Just means you care RedNeck! We need more of that right now.
Western_101

Corvette Cruiz-in

https://www.bloomingtongold.com/

Lot of room in Q lot, a lot of over flow on the intramural fields.
meganeck

Ok, who's going to win Mega Millions and get this stadium project started.
Neckfansince71

One of the reasons I play the lottery is to win some cash that would pay for the stadium/football building plan for Hanson Field. Of course the stadium would remain Hanson Field, but I would definitely have our name on the football building. "The Carter Football Educational Facility at Hanson Field" Has a ring to it, don't you think? I have thought about what I would do with the rest of the money and I know I would make sure that I shared the winnings with all of my family members. Probably would build a hurricane proof house in St. Petes Beach, would probably buy a dwelling in Macomb so we could stay over night for football and basketball games too. I might also buy up some of the land on Adams, right around where the off campus bookstore was. I would put in a nice plaza with Starbucks and a couple of other shops and things. Just a daydream I guess. ;) jc
WIUSuperFan

Any news on the new west side of Hanson Field? Last I heard it's still a work in progress. Is that correct?
Devin Biggs
BS, Meteorology (2017)
Alumnus of Western Illinois University
Email: dm-biggs@wiu.edu
Neckfansince71

I think I saw somewhere that a football building has also been listed as a "big time" need at Hanson Field! Either/or we should have our answer this spring. ;)
WIU0812

I know this post was active a long time ago, but did anything ever come from this west side project? I believe the first post in 2016 said they were going to be sending out info for this project and attempting to raise funds, but never saw anything truly public or saw any fundraising efforts? Just curious where most of this is in process, seems like the stands have been a safety issue for last decade and just keeps getting kicked down road. Obviously the current enrollment issues did not help this situation.
GV Dad

Last "rumor" I heard, was that the West Side was on hold until after the Football building was complete.
Tere North

GV Dad wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:01 pm Last "rumor" I heard, was that the West Side was on hold until after the Football building was complete.
A building for ~100 players is more important than seating??

At the rate the west side is deteriorating, I have to wonder when it will be condemned. Unsafe seating, unsafe stairs, combined with no ADA access. The west side, regardless of what we'd like to see there is a life, health, safety issue.

Ultimately I think that means we'll ding the student for it like they paid for the east side. But in the short term, we need to look at some sort of tarp canopy over the east side and move everyone over there until the west side is fixed. Waiting until someone is seriously hurt and sues it not a good risk management proposition.