Hanson Field - The New West Side

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
wiu712

ST_Lawson wrote:It wasn't a national championship. As near as I can tell, our Men's Water Polo Club won the 1998 Great Lakes Division title.
I don't think that the hanging banner for Men's Water Polo is from 1998. I think it is from an earlier time. Leatherface thinks that it is from our NAIA days.

If anyone is at the Rec, go up to the elevated track on the upper level and see what the banner says. It is on the west side of the track. I will check it out on my next trip there. But that may not be for a while.
Last edited by wiu712 on Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
leatherface

I really believe it was a collegiate- not club- National Championship. Certainly not in 1998, this was around 1970. I believe a NAIA. National Championship.
leatherface

Verified: Paul Hutinger was the water polo coach, and won two NAIA National Titles in 1968 and 1970. He also coached the very successful swim program.
Tere North

wiu712 wrote:
ST_Lawson wrote:Hanging banner for Men's Water Polo at the Rec
would be from a Club Sport since it's in the Rec Center.
leatherface

Paul Hutinger- two NAIA National Championships- water polo-look it up. How could a club sport win a NAIA Championship?
leatherface

From a WIU news release:

MACOMB, IL -- A celebration of life for Paul Hutinger, 89, Western Illinois University physical education professor emeritus, who died July 17 in Florida, will be held at a later date.

Hutinger joined the faculty at Western Illinois University in 1964 as a professor in physical education. He also coached the University's swimming team. Under his leadership, the 1966 WIU team placed fourth in the NAIA National Championships and the 1967 team won the conference championship. He also coached the water polo team, which were NAIA National Champions in 1968 and 1970.

In 1971, Hutinger organized and coached the Western Illinois Masters Swimmers, and in 1973, he founded the Illinois Masters Team. He retired from WIU in 1992.
Tere North

leatherface wrote:Paul Hutinger- two NAIA National Championships- water polo-look it up. How could a club sport win a NAIA Championship?
You got me on that one, but maybe we were an open entry then.

For example, when Bowling won their titles, they were a club team, but still competed against the big guys. The same is true for our recent Fishing championships.

Would be interesting if Athletics would provide a full scenario of all sports participation.
WIU0812

I know the money is not there right now to move the track, but the track will eventually need a complete rework and at that point I see improving our soccer field area and combining them into one cost effective project to move track over there it could benefit both of the sports as track gets a new facility and soccer gets improved surface and drainage perhaps build a small announcers booth and section of permanent seating at same time.

My question would be did they design this new football stadium with the thought of perhaps adding an addition downward towards the field all the way to where track would of been if say they ever remove the track. Most designs if done correctly can be made to accommodate cost effective additions in the future and I hate when I see WIU go with a new stand set up that has no option of expansion in the event that we are ever able to move the track. The big issue there would be basically the height of the existing stadium leaving enough fall to add seating all the way to where the fencing would be now. Another issue that would have to be addressed would be the height of the first row would need to be above the players still so everyone could see which may be difficult at the current stadium level.

ILSTU spent right around 25 million on their new addition and it is extremely impressive, I feel like the money in Macomb never goes as far. I remember in the posting the cost difference between our video board and theirs and it was absurd how much per SF the difference was. They seem to always get best bang for the buck and we just end up with an expensive disappointment. I do like the looks of the stadium design they made, just hope they designed with the dream of improvements beyond a one time build. Even if it never happens it is still worth planning for.
LocalYokelFan

WIU0812 wrote: My question would be did they design this new football stadium with the thought of perhaps adding an addition downward towards the field all the way to where track would of been if say they ever remove the track. Most designs if done correctly can be made to accommodate cost effective additions in the future and I hate when I see WIU go with a new stand set up that has no option of expansion in the event that we are ever able to move the track. The big issue there would be basically the height of the existing stadium leaving enough fall to add seating all the way to where the fencing would be now. Another issue that would have to be addressed would be the height of the first row would need to be above the players still so everyone could see which may be difficult at the current stadium level.
Great point. If you look at the east side AND the renderings for the west side, the design appears to based on the track being their for the long haul, which I agree, just doesn't make sense. Modern stadium design typically increases the seating angle to get the fans closer to the action. Typically, this equates to higher $$ ticket revenue; it's one of architecture's tricks to combat the dreaded HDTV (along with digital interactive equipment and common gathering amenities/areas within the stadium, ie bars). Old vs. New Solider Field is a perfect example -- 'nose bleed' views of the action is MUCH better today than it was before the 'spaceship' renovations. You can argue architecture and historic preservation all you want, but the views got a lot better.

The critical question for WIU athletics, as WIU0812 touches upon, is does the west side do anything to implement some of these architectural 'tricks' to combat the leather chair and HDTV, or does it simply replace an old structure with a new structure? Three questions every LNC member should as in response to being asked for donations for this project should be:

1) Does it put me, the fan, closer to the action with improved and shorter sight-lines? (Ties directly to the track and field convo)
2) What A/V improvements are being planned as part of the renovation to make the gameday experience more immersive?
3) What other amenities are going to be provided to justify the corresponding increase in ticket cost for the premium level season ticket holder?

That third one is why I'm very critical of the new leather seating at Western Hall. There was a pretty substantial increase in the price of those seats Y-O-Y and the only benefit added was that you sit on a leather seat instead of a plastic one. The "unintended consequence" has been, particularly during women's games, that the center sections appear empty while your regular, loyal fanbase has been pushed up and out.
Leatherneck177

Any news or developments on this lately?