Western Magazine

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Just wanted to point out to everyone. I got my copy of the new Western Magazine (replaces the old Alumni News). It's a much better produced and nicer looking production. The Spring 2017 issue is the second edition of it and it focuses on the the role of the military at Western, but also connects frequently to athletics. Includes some great photos and articles about Colonel Hanson (including the cover...I might have to have that framed and put on my wall...looks really good), as well as the history of ROTC at Western, Western women in WWII, some of the winning athletic teams of the 1950's, veteran (and part-time national anthem singer) John Moon, Lt. General Vince Stewart (who also happened to play football for us for a couple of years), Tom Carper (Vietnam vet, former local business owner and former Macomb mayor, and current Amtrak board member), an article about Sammy Marshall (current pro fastpitch softball player and one of the greatest position players to ever put on the purple and gold), and a bunch of other news and photos.

Anyway, I just thought that it looks really good, and it's a great read for anyone interested in WIU athletics, the military, or just WIU history. A lot of you (since many of you are alumni) will probably be receiving a copy in the mail fairly soon, but if you'd like to take a look at it online, you can view it here: http://www.wiu.edu/alumni/pdfs/WesternM ... ng2017.pdf

EDIT - here's the cover I was talking about:
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Aaaaand I just realized that I'm in one of the photos... :lol:

If you are looking through it, page 36, bottom of the page (fallen soldiers 5k), the guy at the far right...I'm right behind him (bib # starts with 13).
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

Nice pub! Time for a trivia question. What former Western hoops and track great was a long-time Illinois HS coach and a short-time Illini assistant coach and his most recent claim to fame is as breeder and judge of Great Danes? (Sorry Rocky if you are offended). In fact, just this year, his dog George won Best of Breed in the prestigious Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show competition at Madison Square Garden.

http://www.eastpeoriatimescourier.com/n ... inster-win
Embrace the pace of the race.
leatherneckcountry

sealhall74 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:23 pm Nice pub! Time for a trivia question. What former Western hoops and track great was a long-time Illinois HS coach and a short-time Illini assistant coach and his most recent claim to fame is as breeder and judge of Great Danes? (Sorry Rocky if you are offended). In fact, just this year, his dog George won Best of Breed in the prestigious Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show competition at Madison Square Garden.

http://www.eastpeoriatimescourier.com/n ... inster-win
I'm guessing Bob Anderson