Hanson Statue Unveiling

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
sealhall74

Neckfansince71 wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:19 pm Seal, I think on-line bidding is going to happen very very soon. You are not the only one that has made that statement! We won the bid for the CC trip tonight! Started discussing the possibility a couple of weeks ago and came down with it in mind! Could not have done it if we were not at the P & G! ;) jc
Congrats, pretty sure I am doing that game as well if I survive the first two on the road.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

The construction is done, the little plaza area looks nice...brick base, circular area, three lit flagpoles...and the statue is in place. Tomorrow is the big day for unveiling.

The location of the statue is here: https://goo.gl/maps/FJTmxUNBBAu
So, fans entering the stadium from the direction of Q Lot, as well as football players going from the locker room to the stadium will go right past it.

And this should give you an idea of the size of the thing:
[tweet][/tweet]
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
leatherface

Dang, something about that photo looks kind of creepy :shock:
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

leatherface wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:48 pm Dang, something about that photo looks kind of creepy :shock:
Kinda like something you'd find washed up out of the Hudson River in some NYC crime drama.
Neckfansince71

Or the hooded little guys that ran the recycling machine in Starwars 2! I do think the "sleeping with the fishes" is probably a better fit. Seriously though, I have heard that this is a really nice statue. Maybe it's just what "Leathernecknation" needs after the summer of Govenour love!!!! ;) jc
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Neckfansince71 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:17 pm Or the hooded little guys that ran the recycling machine in Starwars 2! I do think the "sleeping with the fishes" is probably a better fit. Seriously though, I have heard that this is a really nice statue. Maybe it's just what "Leathernecknation" needs after the summer of Govenour love!!!! ;) jc
Good to hear. I know it was Duke Oursler who did the statue: http://www.wiu.edu/cofac/art/faculty_staff/oursler.php
He's a phenomenally talented faculty member in the art department. He generally works a bit more "abstract" but I trust that I can do a great job on something a bit more "realist" too. He's done a ton of public art: http://www.dukeoursler.com/
Including the sculpture next to the railroad tracks on Jackson Street, sponsored by the Macomb Rotary Club.

He's also been heavily involved in both the Rocky on Parade project and the Macomb Downtown Public Art Project.
sealhall74

Pretty nice ceremony. Rock is smiling from above. Have to admin I got a little emotional near the beginning of it. A good rendition of the National Anthem will always do it to me but I dont care if people kneel, stand or sit for it. Just show some silent respect or join in the singing if you can carry a tune.
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712