Hanson Statue Unveiling

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
leatherface

Don't know if I would want to "rub" him anywhere, as proposed in earlier comments. Perhaps everyone could slap him on his buttocks as they enter the stadium. :D
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

I guess it depends on the size of the statue and if he's on a pedestal or anything.

Like, if he's high enough up, maybe you could just rub his shoe for good luck. What would be even better is if they were able to put a small bulldog next to him...that way you could just pet the dog. Probably a little late in the design process for changes like that though, I'd imagine.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Tere North

If it's 8 feet high, I imagine it's on a pedestal. But you could rub a shoe! Maybe you're right, Scott, bolt on a Rocky.
leatherface

8 feet high. Instead of finding a place where folks could rub him, maybe have a contest to see whoever can kick high enough to kick him the buttocks gets into the game free?
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Just got an email from facilities management:
Facilities Management would like campus to be aware that construction begins today, August 9, 2017 on the Rock Hanson Statue placement west of Hanson Field. There will be increased vehicle traffic on the sidewalk while the contractors are installing. While they will have safety fencing up, we ask that all of campus be aware and cautious in the work area at all times.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Work Order Control at 309/298-1834 x.241 or x.248.

As always, we appreciate your patience and understanding while we continue to improve our campus.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Neckfansince71

Are there any drawings available? ;) jc
sealhall74

Neckfansince71 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:20 pm Are there any drawings available? ;) jc
Or maybe a blowup to entertain us until the real one gets here.

[tweet][/tweet]
Embrace the pace of the race.
Neckfansince71

So we will be on campus for the Purple and Gold auction tonight and I will try to scope out the construction that is underway for the "Rock Hanson" statue. I know that the dedication is being held at 2:00 pm. on homecoming Friday! I really like things like this that celebrate "tradition!" I still think it is a travesty that they bulldozed old Grote Hall. Would have been a great building for the foundation offices on campus. It was solid as a rock and was also part of the tradition that I so love about WIU. ;) jc
sealhall74

Neckfansince71 wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:43 am So we will be on campus for the Purple and Gold auction tonight and I will try to scope out the construction that is underway for the "Rock Hanson" statue. I know that the dedication is being held at 2:00 pm. on homecoming Friday! I really like things like this that celebrate "tradition!" I still think it is a travesty that they bulldozed old Grote Hall. Would have been a great building for the foundation offices on campus. It was solid as a rock and was also part of the tradition that I so love about WIU. ;) jc
NFS71, you got some push and pull for things. Need to pester Matt to get some online bidding going for this thing. I would give my left whatever to get in the bidding for one of those road trips. I am going to be giving him an earful about it in Flagstaff in about 4 weeks from now. ;)
Embrace the pace of the race.
Neckfansince71

Seal, I think on-line bidding is going to happen very very soon. You are not the only one that has made that statement! We won the bid for the CC trip tonight! Started discussing the possibility a couple of weeks ago and came down with it in mind! Could not have done it if we were not at the P & G! ;) jc