Hanson Statue Unveiling

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
Neckfansince71

It appears this project is moving along and the "Rock" statue will be unveiled at Homecoming. Has anyone seen any construction preparation for this project which I think is just outside the north gate to Hanson Field? Also, the last time I was in Macomb there was a lot of street work going on in the university area. Is that completed and how does it all look. It was pretty ratty and needed a face list for a long time. The square resurfacing continues too! I am sure it will be done before move in. Things like this just make things look and feel better! ;) jc
vatusay

I know the completion deadline for the square rehab is august 15th.
#ALLIN #YOLO
sealhall74

I hope the statue of "Rock" has something somewhere on it to allow for a lucky rub sort of like the nose of Honest Abe over in Springfield. If you are entering the field of battle in the MVFC, you need to rub and rub hard. :lol:
Embrace the pace of the race.
Neckfansince71

Statue is very large, over 8 feet high! I agree, need a place to rub on the way to Hanson Field! I think Rock is standing on a stool! Just a rumor!!! :D jc
wiu712

This is a campus report as of August 1:

Western Avenue is still closed between Corbin-Olson and Morgan Hall.

I did not see any evidence of a statue being placed at the north gate into Hanson Field. Do we know where it is going ???? Will it be outside the gate by the concrete Rocky, or will it be inside the gate close to the existing Lee Calhoun statue ????

The video boards are back up at Hanson Field. The two portable bleachers are back in place at the north endzone. They had been moved to the tennis courts for the spring. There was work going on inside of the press box.

Large rubble remains at the Higgins site. Work there will continue into October.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

wiu712 wrote: Western Avenue is still closed between Corbin-Olson and Morgan Hall.

I did not see any evidence of a statue being placed at the north gate into Hanson Field. Do we know where it is going ???? Will it be outside the gate by the concrete Rocky, or will it be inside the gate close to the existing Lee Calhoun statue ????
Technically there's a section open on Western Avenue between Riverview and Murray (the little bit just west of Beu).

I'll keep an eye out for the statue. I should be able to see it from my office when they start putting it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:16 pm
wiu712 wrote: Western Avenue is still closed between Corbin-Olson and Morgan Hall.

Technically there's a section open on Western Avenue between Riverview and Murray (the little bit just west of Beu).

I'll keep an eye out for the statue. I should be able to see it from my office when they start putting it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe it can be like the video boards. We can shuttle "Rock" back and forth between Western Hall and Hanson Field. Hey, I am not joking here. This makes total sense to me. ;)
Tere North

sealhall74 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:33 pm Maybe it can be like the video boards. We can shuttle "Rock" back and forth between Western Hall and Hanson Field. Hey, I am not joking here. This makes total sense to me. ;)
Somehow I just don't associate Rock Hanson with Basketball.
sealhall74

Tere North wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:38 pm
sealhall74 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:33 pm Maybe it can be like the video boards. We can shuttle "Rock" back and forth between Western Hall and Hanson Field. Hey, I am not joking here. This makes total sense to me. ;)
As coach, he was more successful on the hardwood than grass if you look at the records. IMO, biggest impact to university was as AD because his tenure was so long there.
Tere North

sealhall74 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:46 am
Tere North wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:38 pm
As coach, he was more successful on the hardwood than grass if you look at the records. IMO, biggest impact to university was as AD because his tenure was so long there.
Thanks for the info. When you have Hanson Field, the normal association is with football.