All dressed up!

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
Neckfansince71

So we enjoyed the Purple and Gold auction this year. Went down with the idea that maybe we could win the bid for the Coastal Carolina trip and thats exactly what we did! I will fill all of you in with the details as the date approaches. We probably will spend the night before in the quad cities. Not sure I want to drive the 2 hours+ before we take off on Friday morning. I guess we will get a real taste of FCS travel.

So the square looks good and besides the landscaping details only needs one more layer of asphalt. From what I could tell, they were ready to do a side each day or loop each day until it is done. I salute the city of Macomb for working hard to make the square an attractive component of the WIU landscape. Now if only a few more shops would open up. Probably will take some time with the "state" of affairs.

The construction of "Dunkin Donuts" is underway. The foundation is finished and since it is pretty much cookie cutter construction it ought to be done sometime in October IMO! This store will put Macomb on the "big city" map! :D

Western Avenue is all done with a new concrete surface from Adams to Currens Corner. Took a drive through look at Higgins and it is a very very very large pile of rubble. After visiting NYC last week it reminded me of the pile of rubble after 9/11. When one of these buildings comes down it kinda grinds everything up. I am not sure when all of the material will be trucked away. I thought it might be weird to see just Thompson but in reality, Thompson still and will always dominate that side of campus. As stated earlier, I still wish old Grote still existed. Now that was solid construction.

We could see the start of the construction for the Rock statue but we really never got close enough to see anything in reality. Western Hall was dressed up and looking good as always. I still think the new seats have really made this a nice venue to see athletics events.

Golf club house is still in one piece which is not surprising basically because the final day to bid was the 10th! I think they will be moving aggressively start demolition and construction. Hopefully we will be hearing some good news regarding the Westside of Hanson in the near future. We all know that it puts football in a bit of a disadvantage for recruiting purposes and this has got to be remedied soon. Questions, comments?

Here's to the start of a great school year for WIU! ;) jc
leatherneckcountry

I live right off Western Ave so the construction was a little frustrating just glad it's finally over I'm in the minority who is not looking forward to the dunkin and Baskins Robbins coming in.
sealhall74

I cant remember. Is that Dairy Queen on West Jackson open year round or do they shut it down during the winter months?
Embrace the pace of the race.
leatherneckcountry

sealhall74 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:39 pm I cant remember. Is that Dairy Queen on West Jackson open year round or do they shut it down during the winter months?
Shut down during wimter which is what baskins robbins is banking on cause FYI is closed during winter as well.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

leatherneckcountry wrote:
sealhall74 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:39 pm I cant remember. Is that Dairy Queen on West Jackson open year round or do they shut it down during the winter months?
Shut down during wimter which is what baskins robbins is banking on cause FYI is closed during winter as well.
FYI used to be closed during winter, but they're under new ownership now. Probably will be the same, but idk for sure. New name is the Sweet Shop 2.0.

DQ usually opens in March and closes in early October.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
leatherneckcountry

ST_Lawson wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:05 pm
leatherneckcountry wrote:
FYI used to be closed during winter, but they're under new ownership now. Probably will be the same, but idk for sure. New name is the Sweet Shop 2.0.

Didn't know that what a horrible name wonder who came up with that
rocki

leatherneckcountry wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:00 pm
ST_Lawson wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:05 pm
leatherneckcountry wrote:Shut down during wimter which is what baskins robbins is banking on cause FYI is closed during winter as well.

Didn't know that what a horrible name wonder who came up with that
I'm guessing the owner of the business. They actually first opened in the big city of Blandinsville under the name the Sweet Shop, and when FYI went out they decided to open up a second location in Macomb, hence Sweet Shop 2.0. Worked out well for them as the building already had a lot of the equipment they use.
wiu712

Sweet Shack 2.0 open off Downtown Square.

From the July 29 McDonough County Voice:
http://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/news/2017 ... own-square
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

wiu712 wrote:Sweet Shack 2.0
That's it. I knew it was something close to that but couldn't remember exactly off the top of my head.

Anyway, I think DD/BR is probably going to do pretty good coffee and donuts business in the morning with employees and students heading to campus.

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000