Phantom Regiment Drum and Bugle Corps to train at Western

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

This has been huge for Western and the Macomb community and I'm glad that Phantom has enjoyed their time here too. Sounds like, as long as everything can be worked out with our local facilities and administrators, they would like to make this an annual thing.

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

Phantom Regiment plays tonight.

From today's McDonough County Voice:
http://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/news/2018 ... ys-tonight
leatherneckcountry

Wow I wasn’t expecting a crowd this Big
wiu712

Great performance! BIG crowd!

There is a Freshman Orientation group on campus this weekend. They were at tonight's show.

wiu712

Phantom Regiment Happy with Spring Training at WIU .

From Tri-States Public Radio WIUM-FM:
http://tspr.org/post/phantom-regiment-h ... aining-wiu
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Tere North

Scott, perhaps you'd know. All of their horns are silver except for their trombones. I love that all are silver instead of a mish-mash of silver and gold, but is there a reason that the trombones are gold, not silver?
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Tere North wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:17 am Scott, perhaps you'd know. All of their horns are silver except for their trombones. I love that all are silver instead of a mish-mash of silver and gold, but is there a reason that the trombones are gold, not silver?
I don't really know. Could be that the company that they get them from only make brass trombones. The addition of trombones is a new thing to drum corps...like in the last few years. It wasn't allowed back when I was marching in the late '90s.
Tere North

ST_Lawson wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:01 pm
Tere North wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:17 am Scott, perhaps you'd know. All of their horns are silver except for their trombones. I love that all are silver instead of a mish-mash of silver and gold, but is there a reason that the trombones are gold, not silver?
I don't really know. Could be that the company that they get them from only make brass trombones. The addition of trombones is a new thing to drum corps...like in the last few years. It wasn't allowed back when I was marching in the late '90s.
They did just use them for a single number toward the end, swapping out their baritones. From a musical standpoint, other than the slide ability, would there be a benefit to trombones over baritones/euphoniums?
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Tere North wrote:
They did just use them for a single number toward the end, swapping out their baritones. From a musical standpoint, other than the slide ability, would there be a benefit to trombones over baritones/euphoniums?
Yes, there is a difference in tone between baritones and trombones. Trombones have a bit of a "harsher" tone generally. Baritones and especially euphoniums, have a much more "open" or "smooth" tone. Usage of each depends on what the corps is going for in terms of tonal quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk