President Thomas Looking Elsewhere

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
wiu712

Two students were interviewed last night on WGEM's 10PM News. Both said that they have been told by their instructors that students will be given "Incompletes" if a strike disrupts the end of the semester.

That would be devastating for those seniors expecting to graduate and also for those students who need to earn credits in order to maintain a scholarship.

All of this negative publicity will have an impact on enrollment as potential students may be looking at other options.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

wiu712 wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:45 am Two students were interviewed last night on WGEM's 10PM News. Both said that they have been told by their instructors that students will be given "Incompletes" if a strike disrupts the end of the semester.

That would be devastating for those seniors expecting to graduate and also for those students who need to earn credits in order to maintain a scholarship.

All of this negative publicity will have an impact on enrollment as potential students may be looking at other options.
I hate that some professors are telling their students this because it's not correct. Students will receive grades. They might be delayed a few days or a week, but they will receive them. The administrative departments that handle this stuff have contingency plans to deal with the possible strike...if it happens...and for however long it might happen.

Here's more info: http://www.wiu.edu/provost/pdfs_and_doc ... Qfinal.pdf
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Neckfansince71

I found this on the Boise State fan board 247.com!

In cases like this, I always like to see what jojobro thinks. The following is his take from a post on the Misc. Board in case he doesn’t post here:

“This is an excellent pool. Excellent.

Jack Thomas is the shiniest, with significant leadership roles in the NCAA (this is after my brief association with the NCAA back in the mid-90s, and so I didn't get to meet him then), a six-year tenure as WIU president (under horrendous political circumstances, horrendous, and he's had to play hard ball against other schools in Illinois), and a rich and varied academic/administrative experience (I have a close friend who tells me he was the best provost he ever had at Middle Tennessee). He's the real thing.

Weeks brings in hefty, hefty research private/public sponsorship under his tenure at UNBC, the more I look the more impressive it becomes. Not sure about his experiences with athletic programs.

Reynolds probably has the most relevant experience with his administrative work at Portland State, with significant work in developing partnerships in an urban setting. He's probably the "safest" choice.

Lentini brings in perhaps the most varied background. His work at Oakland is impressive, and his lower tier work in leading music programs and expensive capital campaigns is eye-catching. Not a lot of experience, however, evident with athletic programs and such.

Wacker has deep and varied administrative experience, but it's all at one university (this is a real strike in my book). Her record of developing private-public partnerships is very good, but her record with athletic departments is lacking.

The public forums will reveal a great deal about these individuals. Off-hand, Thomas is the outstanding candidate, with Lentini and Weeks bringing in some intriguing experience. Reynolds and Wacker are solid, but not terribly inspiring on paper.”

Seems funny how people's perspective changes when you are viewing things from far away. Dr. Thomas has been on the "bridge" for some of WIU's roughest times. He definitely deserves credit for that and his involvement as a "spokesperson" in the IBHE. Boise State seems to be looking for an outsider to bring the university to the 21st century. Its funny how things change when you have money and public support. ;) jc
leatherneckcountry

Also just saw that he's a finalist at Tuskegee University in his home state of Alabama.
Tere North

leatherneckcountry wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:50 pm Also just saw that he's a finalist at Tuskegee University in his home state of Alabama.
Yep, 1 of 2 finalists at Tuskegee.
https://www.tuskegee.edu/news/tuskegee- ... -finalists
leatherneckcountry

Tere North wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:18 am
leatherneckcountry wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:50 pm Also just saw that he's a finalist at Tuskegee University in his home state of Alabama.
Yep, 1 of 2 finalists at Tuskegee.
https://www.tuskegee.edu/news/tuskegee- ... -finalists
I think if offered both jobs I Think he would choose Tuskegee seems much better opportunity plus it's in his home state.
Tere North

If Thomas leaves, it will be very telling who the Board selects and interim President.
sealhall74

Given the choice, I think Boise State would be the far better professional opportunity. Idaho is a booming state right now. Fastest growing population/percentage-wise in the country. BSU a big fish in a small pond. Compensation for private collegeTuskeegee job, based on previous president salaries, does appear to be a little better though (470K vs 370K). Tuskeegee definitely a tiny fish in a very big pond when it comes to sports and probably also academics.
Embrace the pace of the race.
Neckfansince71

Why would who is named interim be "telling?" (Unless of course it was Matt B.) I don't think it would be an indication of anything except (homeostasis!) ;) jc
leatherneckcountry

Neckfansince71 wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:53 pm Why would who is named interim be "telling?" (Unless of course it was Matt B.) I don't think it would be an indication of anything except (homeostasis!) ;) jc
Pretty sure Matt has already left.