NE Corner of School

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
WIU0812

I saw that the old bar formerly known as Dog Pound and Detox then a bunch of different names has gone up for sale again on northeast side of school. Looks like they have it listed at $190,000. I still think that this would be a good purchase by school though I wish it had been a little cheaper. Looks like it comes with updated sound system and bunch of flat screen TVs and a projector in back which probably could all be salvaged and used around school. I would expect them to demo the building and lot. This spot would be a nice sport for a video board like the one in from of Western Hall that would tell people driving along main road what is going on at WIU every day. Not sure what you would do with the rest of area even though it is not very large there would still be a lot of open room maybe just make it a green space.

http://www.c21purdum-epperson.com/property.php?id=2101
sealhall74

Is there any private land between it and university? If not, probably does make sense to buy it. Maybe it could become sort of what SDSU has with their Dairy Bar. http://www.sdstate.edu/ds/icecream/flavors.cfm We have a culinary program and an ag farm, right. There must be something good to eat that we could sell to public (the Best Pulled Pork 'tween Chicago and St. Louis?) and, at the same time, provide a little experience running a full-fledged business to our students.
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

WIU0812 wrote:I saw that the old bar formerly known as Dog Pound and Detox then a bunch of different names has gone up for sale again on northeast side of school.
That place has changed hands a LOT over the years. It has not had much success in staying open since its days as the "Purple Pride".

Back when I was going to Western, that place was a root beer stand.
WIU0812

sealhall74 wrote:Is there any private land between it and university? If not, probably does make sense to buy it. Maybe it could become sort of what SDSU has with their Dairy Bar. http://www.sdstate.edu/ds/icecream/flavors.cfm We have a culinary program and an ag farm, right. There must be something good to eat that we could sell to public (the Best Pulled Pork 'tween Chicago and St. Louis?) and, at the same time, provide a little experience running a full-fledged business to our students.

unfortunately there is private land between this and the university property. The school shows on the master plan that they intend to in future up those properties and used as a great escape entrance way. I am Not sure what the school could use the building as since it is kind of out of the way from anything and it does not have any space inside.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Yea, once you get the end of campus as you normally think of it, you've got a Karate studio, then a university building (Physical Plant East), then another private business/office (non-retail...can't remember who it is offhand), then the Super 8 motel, Sunrise Restaurant, then The Vinyard (church), Cafe Aroma, MDH Rehab center, and I think there's some apartments behind that building too.

That's a lot of land to try to buy up, and I think that in the most recent revisions of the master plans that I've seen, they aren't doing anything with that side of the road. The sign at the entryway is step 1 for that area, eventually they'd like some type of university "welcome center" where the old Cinema 1&2 and Godfather's Pizza were along with walking/bike paths going back through the woods along the river and following along through that side of campus.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000