Enrollment Updates

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
Western_101

Wow 712, I'm no authority on the subject but that looked liked honest to God leadership.

I know he's in the Honeymoon phase but, come on, this is a guy people will gravitate to. I have a genuine sense to be optimistic.

So many forward thinking proposals. Also, kudos to him for leveraging all of the people around him to tackle this so aggressively.

Edited: apparently I had too many Busch Lights in me to understand know vs. no. Jeesh :lol:
Last edited by Western_101 on Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

RedNeck wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:40 am Wow 712, I'm know authority on the subject but that looked liked honest to God leadership.

I know he's in the Honeymoon phase but, come on, this is a guy people will gravitate to. I have a genuine sense to be optimistic.

So many forward thinking proposals. Also, kudos to him for leveraging all of the people around him to tackle this so aggressively.
Yeah, seems like he's got specific plans and goals. He's not the most charismatic guy, but I like that he got specific on things. We'll see how it goes and if his plans work out well in the long run, but at this point, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. Hopefully the board realizes this and at least makes him the interim president.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
leatherneckcountry

I hope everything works out and the university can turn it around. However actions speak louder than words so I’m not getting my hopes high until we see action and results.
sealhall74

Excellent presentation by Dr. Abraham. The word that came to my mind while watching was AFFABLE. No non-sense. Speaks from the heart.
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

Acting WIU President Focuses On Enrollment During University Assembly.
From Tri-States Public Radio, WIUM-FM:
https://www.tspr.org/post/acting-wiu-pr ... y-assembly
wiu712

WIU administration hopes to move forward with move-in day.
From WGEM News:
https://wgem.com/2019/08/16/wiu-adminis ... ve-in-day/

WIU students return to campus.
From KHQA-TV-7 News:
https://khqa.com/news/local/wiu-student ... -to-campus

Western Students Return.
From the McDonough County Voice:
https://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/news/201 ... nts-return
meganeck

He did seem impressive, does anyone know if he would be interested in the job on a permanent basis?
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

meganeck wrote:He did seem impressive, does anyone know if he would be interested in the job on a permanent basis?
From what I heard from people who were at the open session when he was being interviewed, it's sounds like he does eventually want to be a university president somewhere. I don't know that he was thinking here or this soon, but was maybe his eventual goal for a few years before he retires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wiu712

The newspaper article spoke of an enrollment of 6,000+ on the Macomb campus for the Fall 2019 semester. The news story from WGEM talked about an incoming freshman class of 1,000.

Both numbers are optimistic goals when you consider that there were 5,645 on the Macomb campus for the Spring semester. An additional 818 were at the QC campus in the spring.

In the last 7 years, 5 dorms have been closed on the Macomb campus. Wetzel and Higgins are now gone. Bayliss, Henninger, and Tanner will be sitting empty for the first time since they were built in the 1960's.

Western had 4 low-rise dorms in the past: Seal, Bennett, Hursh, and Grote (originally called Monroe). Only one low-rise dorm remains. A new Grote was built on the Bennett site in 2004.

Interesting fact: When Seal Hall opened in 1954, each resident paid $60 per quarter.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

wiu712 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:03 pm The newspaper article spoke of an enrollment of 6,000+ on the Macomb campus for the Fall 2019 semester. The news story from WGEM talked about an incoming freshman class of 1,000.

Both numbers are optimistic goals when you consider that there were 5,645 on the Macomb campus for the Spring semester. An additional 818 were at the QC campus in the spring.
We won't know official numbers until 10th day (2 weeks into the semester), but it looks like we'll probably have a freshman class of about the same as last year, or maybe a little higher. Overall enrollment will still be down a bit because we're graduating classes that are larger than the incoming classes, but stopping the drop with incoming classes is the first step towards recovering.